This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s the curse of the quarter system: barely three weeks into the school year and midterms have already started. Most people are still struggling to shake off that idyllic summer mindset and get back into the studying game. But fear not, dear readers, the solution to this problem is simple! All you have to do is find a good place to study—a place where you can really focus, a place that works for you—and the rest will follow. Unfortunately, typical study spots like the library and the CoHo can get pretty crowded, especially around midterm season. So for those of us who seek scholastic solitude, here’s a list of lesser-known study spots in and around the UC Davis campus.

The Death Star

Located next to the bookstore, the Death Star (aka the Social Sciences and Humanities Building) has a small collection of tables that are perfect for a nice long afternoon of studying. Besides its peaceful atmosphere, the courtyard below the building also has the benefit of being shielded from direct sunlight. This means you can breathe in fresh air without getting too distracted by the sun, which can be a serious hindrance to your concentration.

Griffin Lounge

This one’s not so secret, but Griffin Lounge is a great place to go if you’re looking for quiet. It’s located inside the Memorial Union, between the MU Information Center and the CoHo, and it’s a large, well-lit room dedicated solely to the purpose of studying. Students can also use this space to take a quick (or not-so-quick) nap, which is another critical component of exam preparation. So regardless of whether you’re studying or sleeping, Griffin Lounge is a real asset to keep in mind during midterm season.

Above the CoHo

Walk out the CoHo’s east-side exit, turn right, and you’ll find yourself at the bottom of a flight of stairs that will take you to a haven of secluded studying. It may not look like much, but this place is the perfect escape for a world-weary student. There are plenty of tables and chairs, but they’re spaced far enough apart that you won’t be disturbed by your neighbors. Additionally, being a story above the hustle and bustle of the CoHo practically eliminates the noise—but if you’re in need of a caffeine fix, Swirlz is still only 30 seconds away. It’s the best of both worlds!

Bio Brew

Speaking of caffeine, this low-key coffee shop can be found in the northwest corner of the Sciences Laboratory Building. Bio Brew serves Starbucks drinks, smoothies, and bottled sodas, as well as various snacks. Its primary disadvantage is that it can get a little loud, especially in between classes (around the hour mark). However, the eating/sitting section of the shop is very nice, with an assortment of tables and stools to choose from and an abundance of natural light.  

The Life Sciences Building

The Life Sciences Building is one of the quietest ones on campus, and studying there really allows you to tune out everything else and hone in on what you have to do. There’s a bench with excellent lighting in the main entrance hall, but studying on a bench gets uncomfortable fast, so you should probably go downstairs to the study lounge-type area. You can sit in a cushioned chair or even in one of the alcoves in the wall, if you want to feel really sequestered. And for those who don’t mind a little breeze, try studying in the courtyard just outside of the lower level of the LSB.

Wyatt Deck in the Arboretum

Just beyond the picturesque Lake Spafford is Wyatt Deck, which encompasses a large wooden gazebo and several benches. Not only is the surrounding forest beautiful and awe-inspiring, it’s also usually pretty devoid of people. If you’re looking for even more privacy, you can venture down the path into the woods and scope out a lone picnic table in the middle of the trees. Just make sure there’s nothing happening that day on the Arboretum’s official Calendar of Events, or else you could find yourself suddenly interrupted by the acoustics of amateur folk musicians.

I'm a student at UCD and a staff member here at Her Campus! I'm interested in a lot of things, and I even write about some of them.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!