5 Ways to Include Braids in Your Back-to-School Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the new school year comes plenty of new fashion trends. But while you’re feeding your closet everything hot and discarding everything not, remember to tend to the one style item that stays with you every year- your hair!

It may not seem like it some days (thanks global warming), but fall is in full swing. So if you’re still not ready to swap out your flower crown for a beanie, consider accenting your hair with braids! Before you say been there, done that, keep in mind that braids are timelessly stylish! That is not to say the Pippi Longstocking look you rocked in kindergarten is still appropriate. 

There are five ways you can bring braids back to school and still maintain an air of sophistication. Whether you have short hair, long hair, straight hair, or wavy hair, any of these braids are doable! Like all good creations though, they take practice. And what better time to practice than the first few weeks of school when you’re feeling calm, confident, and motivated?

1) Waterfall Braid: Complex instead of wacky, this braid is bound to impress! Take a section of hair between your ear and your part, and divide it into three equal strands. As if forming a standard braid, cross each outer strand over the center one time. Next, instead of crossing the lower strand over the center again, let it drop. Pick up a new strand entirely and cross it over the center. When crossing the top strand, add more hair as you would for a French braid. Continue this pattern until you’ve gone three-fourths of the way around your head or even completely around your head. Then, secure the waterfall braid either by braiding it down (in a standard braid) or pinning it. 

2) Cascade Waterfall Braid: If debating whether to wear your hair up or down, give this braid a chance! Follow the instructions for a waterfall braid, but stop braiding when you reach the back of your head. Create a second waterfall braid on the other side of your head. Combine the tails of each braid into a single standard braid. Secure it with an elastic. 

3) Side French Bun: You hate to admit it, but there comes a day or week when your hair is incurably messy. If you’re worried that people are wising up to the classic “just throw it up in a bun” trick, here is something else you can try. Start by parting your hair slightly off-center. On the fuller side, grab a section at the hairline and split it into three strands. Cross the outer strands over the center strand. Next, add a small piece of hair to the outer strand that is closer to the top of your head. Then cross the other outer strand without adding any hair. Continue this pattern. Once you’ve French braided just past your ear, transition into a standard braid. Instead of tying it, collect all of your loose hair (including the tail of the braid), and twist it into a bun. Use an elastic to secure it. 

4) French Braid Headband: Want to know a secret for keeping hair out of your face? Use your  hair! Simply part it down the middle and do a French braid on both sides. Transition into a standard braid when you’ve gone just below your ears. Then bring the tails of both braids behind your head and underneath the rest of your hair. Tie the tails together with an elastic, and you’ve got yourself a headband! 

5) The Reverse Braid: The subtlety of this braid renders it highly appropriate for class or work. Begin by flipping your hair forward. At the nape of your neck, split a small section of hair into three strands. Cross the two outer strands over the center. Remember to add hair to each outer strand as you go. When you reach the crown of your head, secure the braid with an elastic.  Collect the rest of your hair (including the tail of your braid), twist it into a bun, and secure it with another elastic. 

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.