books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Underrated Movies to Watch on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Winter break is quickly approaching, which means you have… free time? While this concept might feel crazy or foreign, you should embrace it! So, what are you going to do with all of this free time? You’ll obviously want to spend time with your friends and family, but nothing is better than getting reacquainted with your bed, and of course, with Netflix. Here are five underrated Netflix movies you’ll love:

1. The Big Wedding (2013) Starring: Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Dianne Keaton, Amanda Seyfried, Robin Williams

Plot: A set of divorced parents, two siblings, and some family friends gather together for Alejandro’s wedding. All under one roof for the weekend, drama ensues in this comedy.

Why You’ll Love It: Have you looked at the cast? Oh, and it’s one of the first chick flicks since the What A Girl Wants era that you’ll actually enjoy.

2. Heathers (1989) Starring: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty

Plot: Veronica can’t stand The Heathers: the popular girls who also happen to be her best friends. New boyfriend J.D. helps Veronica out of friend group, or rather, helps The Heathers out of…well, I won’t spoil it.

Why You’ll Love It: It’s the Mean Girls of the 1980’s with a dark twist.

3. In A World… (2013) Starring: Lake Bell, Demetri Martin, Rob Corddry

Plot: Carol dreams of following in the footsteps of her father by becoming a famous movie-trailer voice, but struggles to land gigs because she is a woman.

Why You’ll Love It: Lake Bell is both awkward and hilarious and there’s an adorable budding relationship.

4.The Stepford Wives (2004) Starring: Nicole Kdiman, Bette Midler, Matthew Broderick, Glenn Close

Plot: Workaholic city mom, Joanna, and her family move to the suburbs. While the obedient housewives appear to be exactly that, Joanna begins to suspect that something isn’t quite right.

Why You’ll Love It: It’s like a funny Desperate Housewives.

5. Stuck In Love (2012) Starring: Greg Kinnear, Jennifer Connelly, Lily Collins, Nat Wolff

Plot: A family of writers tries to mend their broken relationships with each other while teenage son and college-aged daughter explore love in their own lives.

Why You’ll Love It: It’s both serious and light, Nat Wolff is so cute, and it has a killer soundtrack.

Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.