What You Say Online Matters More Than You Imagined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

A lot of us milllenials in this generation are so open to posting defamatory posts about other people. While we may think that everything we say is fine due to our freedom of speech, the reality is that what you post online may absolutely bite you in the butt.

In the last week or so, there have been comments made about people I know that are entirely lies and potentially ruins reputations. I can guarantee that companies such as Twitter rarely removes posts that are harmful because they want to value people who use their system, regardless of the fact that many are being harassaed and abused with false messages about them. On behalf of Twitter, I apologize if any of you have experienced Twitter neglecting your request for the removal of a nasty post about you. 

What you choose to post is up to you but realize that people may view you differently and how people react will not be up to you. IBe wary of what you post, especially slanderous material. Not only does it make the person posting look terrible in character but defamation can result in lawsuits from the victim. 

If you are in a position where someone is harassing you or making negative claims about you online, whether that be Twitter or Facebook or any forums, note that you have rights to sue. While this may not be your immediate go-to, try to ask the people talking negatively about you to stop and delete the post. If nothing occurs, here are the brief basics for Defamation Lawsuits. 

Defamation is any statement that hurts another person’s reputation. This is deemed as “libel” if it is written as a post. 

In order to actually sue someone for their actions in this type of lawsuit,

1. You must have proof of the statement made
  2. The statement must have been published
  3. It must have caused you injury
  4. The statement must have been false
  5. The statement is not a in a privileged category.

Now to break that down, the statement has to be written or spoken but preferably written. A third party must have been able to see the published material. Aside from that, injury does not only refer to physical injury but more of a reputational injury.

Lastly, the Supreme Court has ruled the fact that “actual malice” has to be involved, meaning the statement made is actual intent in harming a figure. Freedom of speech is a right that we all value but its value diminishes if a statement in made over a private individual that is not of public importance.

Know and never be afraid to exercise your rights if you ever feel violated by anyone. 

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.