bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Top Staple-Locations for Vegetarians/Vegans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The world has come to recognize Berkeley as the city of revolutionary change; in the last week, the number of vegetarians and vegans I have interacted with only goes to prove that. As a dedicative post to wonderful people who embody passion, here is a list of 5 staple locations for any vegetarians or vegans in the vicinity.

1. The Butcher’s Son

From secondhand experience and the ravings of close friends, this is the go-to restaurant for anything ranging from  a lovely brunch to a take-out dinner. On Yelp, it’s rated at 4.75 stars with incomparable ravings from non-vegans as well.

2. Berkeley’s Student Food Collective

This cute little nonprofit is easily overlooked despite being right on Bancroft, next to Sharetea. There are no products with meat in the store and you can find anything from health products to dried fruit and nuts to fresh fruits. On top of that, there are always baked vegan goodies for anyone with a sweet-tooth.

3. Eatsa

Though this little hole in the wall next to Walgreens has not made a grand entrance to the scene, it’s a must-visit. While a lot of the food does contain dairy, there are options such as the side dishes and breakfast bowls that are vegan-friendly. The price ranges under $7.50 and the experience of automated food preparation is probably the shortest wait on good food.

4. Cinnaholic

I can guarantee that trying a cinnabun from Cinnaholic will change your optimism about life. These choose-your-own warm freshly-baked buns are deserving of all the hype and more. AND, not to forget, they’re vegan which makes it an even more incredible foodie-phenomenon.

5. Berkeley Bowl

For those of you that live further away from Berkeley Bowl, I have to say you’re missing out if you don’t grocery shop here. The selection of fresh produce is endless, so much so that you could spend hours picking out fruit.

Enjoy! 

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.