Supporting Characters in “Parks & Rec” that Stole the Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Parks and Rec: a show that needs no introduction. We all know so much about Leslie Knope, Ben Wyatt, and Andy Dwyer, as they star in the show, but we often forget just how great the show’s minor characters actually are. They add so many hilarious and adorable moments to this classic comedy show. Here are just a few of the supporting characters in “Parks & Rec” that (hilariously) stole their scenes:

• D.J. Roomba: DJ Roomba may simply be an MP3 player attached to a Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner, but seeing the reactions from other characters when the first encounter the little guy is undoubtedly a highlight of the show. Unfortunately, Jerry makes the terrible mistake of stepping on the contraption, which ends his life much too soon. RIP, little bud. We will always miss you.

• Greg Pikitis: Greg Pikitis is the Darth Vader to Leslie Knope’s Luke Skywalker. He may only be a teen, but he is a criminal mastermind that’s on a mission to prank. Referred to by Leslie as her “arch-nemesis,”  as well as “a horrible monster,” Greg is skilled at devising and pulling practical jokes. Greg’s mission to vandalize the town’s statue of Mayor Percy every Halloween provides a hilarious storyline, and his sneaky nature makes him a character that we love to see. You can never look at peaches the same again. Ever. 

Angry Leslie Knope
Giphy

• Burt Macklin: Okay, so technically Burt Macklin is played by Chris Pratt, who is definitely no supporting actor in the show, but Burt Macklin is NOT Andy Dwyer, he is Andy’s alter-ego, and that makes all the difference. Andy goes into character as Burt whenever the parks department encounters an unsolvable mystery that requires the assistance of this  “brilliant” FBI detective. Through services like interrogating Greg Pikitis or assisting Leslie in retrieving her birth certificate, Burt’s unconventional dedication to his “job” makes his scenes all the more entertaining.

• Tammy II: An appearance by Tammy II, Ron’s second ex-wife, was ALWAYS a big deal. Whether she’s bringing Ron back to the “darkside” or hatching an evil plan with her fellow librarians, Tammy II adds excitement to the short. She may be a “psychotic, library book-peddling, sex-crazed she-demon,” but that’s why we love her. Learning that Megan Mullally, the actress that plays Ron’s ex-wife, is actually Nick Offerman’s off-screen wife simply makes Tammy II’s rare appearances all the more hilarious.

A gif of Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation
Giphy

• Jean-Ralphio Saperstein: Although most of Jean Ralphio’s screen-time is spent annoying other characters to no end, his eccentric sense of humor and unlimited creativity make Jean Ralphio indescribably hilarious to any audience. Tom’s best buddy and business partner may be a bit of an oddball—but his wardrobe’s so “swag” and his rhymes are such “fire” that we’re always left wanting to see more of him. He also has some of the best pieces of life advice ever, as exhibited below. 

• Li’l Sebastian: As Leslie herself put it in Li’l Sebastian’s obituary, the miniature horse of Pawnee “was an animal, a legend, a friend. He was a beacon of light.” Although there were some doubters that didn’t understand all the praise surrounding this small friend *cough* Ben Wyatt *cough*, Li’l Sebastian’s adorable face and untainted purity would make anyone fall in love with him. Scenes in which Li’l Sebastian grace us with his angelic presence are undeniably some of the show’s best.

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!