This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Despite the hail on Monday morning, it’s safe to say that it is very nearly spring in the Bay Area. The sun is shining, golden hour is back, and it’s finally time for the glade to be a bustling collection of students tanning and laughing with each other. The end of the semester is near, and for most of us that means moving out of our dorms, or our apartments, or our houses, and moving all of our possessions back home for a few months before we have to car them right back into wherever we will be living next semester.

Everything has piled up, there are papers and notes I don’t need anymore. Laundry is impending, and it’s time for the seasons to change. One thing that always helps the transition to summer feel more final is clearing out what you don’t need anymore. Especially while you are transitioning spaces, it can be extremely beneficial to give yourself room to fill your new home with what you gather through the next year. This year I’m clearing out…

1. My spotify playlists.

My spotify playlists have all of the songs I have collected since junior year of high school – yikes – and while reminiscing is nice, sometimes it feels better to find new music. This way I will open up my collection to all of the songs I will be adding to my repertoire during the rest of 2018. This type of metaphorical cleaning opens the door to exploring new music, and maybe adding something that I wouldn’t have typically thought would be interesting to listen to. Instead of having a cluttered section of playlists with songs I listened to for a month and haven’t heard since, I’ll be maintaining this constant search for new music.

1. All of my old notebooks and empty pens.

I have filled far too many notebooks since college has started, and after filling these notebooks I have thrown my empty pens into my drawers or my backpack haphazardly. Getting rid of all notes that you do not need again clears up the space for all of the hundreds of pages of notes you’ll take next semester(unless you take notes on your laptop, in that case you should clear out your files or your drive).  

1. My closet.

I don’t know about you, but it has been quite a few years since I have grown – at all – and I have a lot of clothes that I wear frequently as they are my favorite. The fabric wears thin after a while and those articles of clothing need to be replaced. In contrast, I also have some clothes that I don’t wear as much which someone else would probably use more. If these items could go to a more loving home, then I typically plan on getting rid of them in the spring as well.

1. My kitchen supplies.

While in the dorms I brought along nearly everything you could possibly need to make your dorm room a functional kitchen(or at least a functional kitchen for me). Moving into my new housing area will mean I do not need a my pour-over coffee maker, or a lot of the other kitchen supplies I brought with me to college.

1. BACKPACK!

Backpacks get filled with the remnants of everything throughout the semester. In order to give yourself a brand new start for the next semester you should clean out EVERYTHING! That way you won’t reach your hand inside of your backpack and find anything that should have been thrown in the trash a good two-to-three months ago.

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.