Sarah Golden, Co-Director of Spread the Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Meet Sarah Golden. She is a junior from Los Angeles studying Poliical economoy and Society and Environment. She is also currently the co-director of Spread the Word.

What is Spread the Word?

Spread the Word (STW) is a student organization on campus that was created as a project by students in the Education 190 class in 2008. In 2010, STW gained official club status, has received ASUC sponsoship, and still works with the same high school partner from 2008. 

STW is dedicated to increasing the enrollment of “at risk” youth into institutions of higher learning. Club memebers mentor disadvantaged youth at Richmond High School and provide the youth with necessary tools and information on how to pursue their education dreams. Members of STW implement hands-on activities and engaging course curriculum and assist Richmond High School sophomores with their college portfolios, including a working personal statement, transcript and financial aid counseling, and mock applications.

Any student of higher education, whether at a community college or four-year university, can join STW as a mentor. Curently, STW holds meetings on Wednesdays at 5:30pm and visit Richmond every Friday. It is required that everyone participate in either the Wednesday planning meetings and/or the Friday mentoring sessions. At the end of the year, STW hosts a field trip for the mentees to visit Cal with their mentors.

Her Campus: What inspired you to become involved with the club?
Sarah Golden: Well, I’m the co-director, so I share the position with a dear friend, Breard Snellings. The torch was passed down to us from the previous president, Paty Arroyos, who graduated last year.

HC: How do you get to Richmond every Friday? Is there a carpool system?
SG: We carpool with other students in the organization

HC: Do you have a special memory or anecdote about the club that you would like to share?
SG: Last year, during our Cal Shadow Day field trip for the Richmond students, we got to spend the whole day together. My fondest memory is when I got to go up to the top of the Campinile with the students. It was my first time up there, though I was a sophomore, and for many of the RHS students it was their first time too. We looked out over the Bay and pointed out personal landmarks and shared stories about them.

HC: What has been the most rewarding part about participating in this club?
SG: The most rewarding part of being in STW is making friends with the RHS students. They all have great personalities and fascinating stories to tell.

HC: What do you hope to do post-grad?
SG: Plan A is to not have a plan, but plan B is to do Teach for America or teach English abroad. Graduate school might be an option down the road.

HC: How would you like to see the club grow in the future?
SG: I hope that soon, we can expand to working with more teachers at RHS and eventually to work with other schools in the Richmond District.

See what it’s like to be a part of Spread the Word here:

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.