The Lifimize Approach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

All around us, bright young millennials are implementing novel ideas that no longer serve the consumerism mindset of prior generations but, rather, ensure that the world we build together is one that creates opportunity and comfort for all. Of these, artificial intelligence has now been newly utilized to focus on emotional intelligence as well. One of the leading apps in this pursuit is Lifimize, an app that is currently being finalized right in the heart of SF. 

The overarching goal of Lifimize is to help the average person deal with interpersonal and emotional issues that are highly resolvable by the technology of mood detection, skill assessment and improvement, and action-based suggestions or tasks. The app will initially start by asking the individual of his or her emotional state in which the app can analyze facial expressions or the user will directly be able to choose emojis. Based on the state, the app will specifically choose artwork to alter the person’s mood in a positive manner.

Following the mood alteration, the user will be asked, “Is there something bothering you?” in which separate categories of interpersonal issues will be displayed ranging from, friend to significant other to co-worker to classmate and more. Following that, there will be a list of common issues within each category that one can select. Within each issue listed, there will be a few suggestions from the app with both a rationale explanation as well as how to execute the suggestion. These suggestions can be practiced through narrative questions, role play, or evaluation tests for deeper understanding of how these the suggestion can be a good choice for resolution.

While all this ties in really well, the most impactful portion of the app is that there is a potential for finding a mentor or finding others who have been through the same issues. There are people on the app who can give rapport and more advice for whatever the individual is going through and walk alongside one another in their journeys of life.

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.