Wellness

How To Make Spring Semester Your Best One Yet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Spring semester can seem super daunting. Last semester, as a freshman, I know I came in expecting life at Cal to be relatively simple. Study, sleep, and throw in some fun where I can. However, college turned out to be a lot more complex than I had originally imagined. And I couldn’t be happier that it was. Fall semester was a rollercoaster of ups and downs, but the ride was more fun than words can describe. Sure, I endured some failures and hardships that I hadn’t expected, BUT I made some lifelong friends and had quite a few victories as well. However, now I am presented with my most intimidating challenge yet: Spring Semester. It’s 2018, and with the new year comes change. Here are a few ways to make the new semester your best one yet!  

• Make New Friends (But Cherish Your Old Ones Too): Strike up a conversation with that girl who sits next to you in Biology lecture or the guy who joined you in Econ Office Hours. There are new potential friendships everywhere, and school/extracurriculars are a great way to meet new people and make new companions. However, make sure you don’t get too carried away and forget about your friends from first semester. Both old friends and new friends are great!

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

• Join a Club You Care About: Yes, I know those Data Science Groups and Business Fraternities look great on your resume, but try joining a club just because you like it! Disney Club, Destress with Dogs, or that awesome acapella group; these are all great student organizations that do great things. They are a great way to meet new friends with similar interests and spend your time doing something you truly love!

• Start Using a Planner: You’ve probably heard this one before, BUT that doesn’t make it any less true! A planner can help you keep track of your commitments, homework, and events. Being organized reduces stress, increases productivity, and makes everyday tasks a little easier!

study outside
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

• Incorporate Spontaneity into the Everyday: Drop in on that cool concert you saw on a random flyer or go to Denny’s at midnight when your friends are craving waffles. Not everything has to be planned and organized ahead of time. Sometimes, the random and spontaneous trips to SF or the boba shop on the corner end up being the most memorable! Create some fun memories and throw excitement into the predictable everyday!

• Make Studying a Priority: Okay, as a student at Cal, I’m pretty sure you focus on your studies. However, in the heat of Cal’s exciting social aspects, it is easy to get distracted and ignore your homework or study guides to go out instead. However, it is important to remember that school is important. You can always go to SF next weekend if you have a really important chem midterm on Monday. School should always be a priority!

group of people reading and studying together at a table
Photo by Alexis Brown from Unsplash

• Don’t Forget to Let Loose and Have Some Fun: That being said, it is also super important to let loose sometimes and have fun with your friends. Your GPA definitely does not define you, so if you want to skip studying for a couple hours and go get ice cream, then you should do it!

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.