How to Make Friends in College Because it is Never Too Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

One of the most intriguing questions that a new student asked me at the beginning of this semester was, “How do you make friends?” That’s a very interesting question that most students tend to think about. Have no fear! It’s never too late and there’s someone out there for you! Embrace the awkward encounters that might turn into lifelong friendships.

1. Dining Halls

They are the main hub to meet freshman who are just as excited about college as you are. Head on over to Crossroads, Cafe 3, or even Foothill and Clark Kerr if you’re up for the walk. There are also freshman who completely regret their choice of college so there’s someone for everybody.

Don’t worry upperclassmen! There are plenty of upperclassmen in the dining halls as well. A friendly freshman would most likely swipe you just to talk to you. ;) Crossroads is the haven for those who are on too tight of a budget to eat out, too lazy to cook, too busy to cook, or a combination of those.

2. Classes: Discussion, Study Groups, and Exams

Meeting friends in the classroom can be a daunting experience especially with the hundreds of faces you see everyday. Talk to your neighbor in discussion or in lab. It’s always good to have a buddy in those smaller groups especially for group work. For STEM students, your classes will only get harder so studying is crucial. Form study groups with other bright students as soon as possible so you can all spend time together while working towards a common goal- of not failing. That’s Chem 1A for you, folks!

3. Dorms

The dorms are meant to be social so knock on a few doors and say hello. It might be a little awkward at first or a LOT awkward, but it never hurts to try. It’s good to get to know everyone before the onslaught of midterms. Quick! Say hi to your neighbor right now. For transfer students living in the freshman dorms, there will be other transfer students as well, but don’t limit yourself! There are defi nitely some cool freshmen (at least from what I heard.)

4. Clubs and other Campus Organizations

It’s proven that students who are involved in something on campus are more likely to do better academically, socially, and emotionally. Join something! Anything that might seem interesting to you and get ready to meet some awesome people! We welcome everyone with open arms at Her Campus!

Jessica Hou

UC Berkeley

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.