Don’t Deny Dreamers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As I lay in my bed, sick to my core, I can’t help but reflect on a rollercoaster week. It’s just the first few weeks of college, and I already feel like it’s been a decade, AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING! In all seriousness, I want to talk about DACA and how disheartened I am to see it rescinded under the Trump administration. Born and raised in Taiwan, since I was a little girl, I couldn’t imagine receiving college education anywhere else besides America because everyone in my family went to America in pursuit of a higher education. Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals grant children all over the globe who didn’t have a chance besides coming to America for a better future, whatever the mean was. Education is everyone’s chance to start fresh or start again. Education was always my way of finding who I am. It gave me an opportunity to test out what I like and what I don’t like. Moreover, it kept me grounded. I would imagine this is what education is like for all the kids around the world and in America. I was one of the lucky ones that got to receive education here in America. I hope there are a lot more as lucky as I am. Children are our future, and I can’t imagine a world where they are denied of a better education and sent back to fend for themselves.

I promised a beautiful view from my room, so here’s another one!

You’ll probably never see this, but if you are someone who never felt accepted in this country or never felt like you belonged here, I hope this message reaches to you: You are so deserving of every bit of life like the rest of us.

Rosalyn Wang

UC Berkeley

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.