Campus Celeb: Wenqing Yan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Hometown: Sichuan, China

Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Digital Arts

Year: Alumni, Class of 2011

Claim to fame: invented cat ear headphones, holds title of 2nd most followed artist on DeviantART, creates gorgeous digital paintings, comics, and sculptures

Wenqing Yan, better known by her username “Yuumei” on the online art community DeviantART, is an illustrator, activist, graphic novelist, sculptor, and product developer. Her DeviantART page boasts over 19 million pageviews and over 340,000 followers. To make things even better, Yan is a proud Golden Bear!

An elaborate dragon sculpture that Yuumei carved back in 2006.

Although Berkeley is more renowned for its science and business programs, Yan explains that majoring in art at the #1 public university in the world has its share of perks. Only at Cal can you immerse yourself in an ultra-liberal atmosphere that prioritizes artistic expression over practiced technique. Not to mention, Yan maintained a 4.0 throughout her entire undergraduate career, which anyone who has gone to Berkeley will tell you is no small feat. For more of her perspective on why she chose Berkeley over a specialized art college, check out her article “Why University of California, Berkeley?”: http://www.deviantart.com/journal/Why-University-of-California-Berkeley-224238932/ 

Drawing from her own life and experiences at Cal, Yan’s art centers on environmentalism, children of divorced or dysfunctional families, and cyber activism. Her three published graphic novels, Knite, 1000 Words, and Fisheye Placebo (which you can read for free on her website, http://yuumei.deviantart.com/), explore these topics extensively. 

This piece by Yuumei, entitled “Better Tomorrow”, portrays the destructive impact pollution has on the environment and the hope for a cleaner future. 

Yan launched a successful IndieGoGo for the development of a line of cat ear headphones called Axent Wear that she designed and marketed. The campaign had over 300,000 backers, and raised over $3 million. Axent Wear headphones entered Brookstone stores across the country, an even gained the attention of Ariana Grande who partnered to release her own limited edition version. 

Yuumei’s concept design and finished product.

Yan currently lives in Berkeley and attends conventions and events year-round in California to promote her work. Some of her past gigs, where you will likely find her at, are San Diego Comic Con, Anime Expo in Los Angeles, and Berkeley China Forum. Yan is now working on expanding her online print shop, and building a team of fellow artists to experiment with 3D character and background models.

Emily Filkin

UC Berkeley '20

IG: @emilyfilkin
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.