Campus Celeb: CLAIRE ASSELSTINE ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

You’ve probably seen Claire Asselstine around campus— vibrant red hair, Computer Science books in hand, and freckles for days. In fact, you may have even had a conversation with her, considering she never shies from conversation with those around her with the potential of making a new friend. Having been a part of the Women’s Rugby Team, an actress in Vagina Monologues, and a rapid wit that will have anyone keeled over laughing uncontrollably, Claire has established a strong presence on campus in just the beginning of her third year at Cal. For all of these reasons and more, Claire has marketed herself as a campus celebrity.

Hometown: San Anselmo [whitebread-prius-driving-liberal-yuppie-town], California

Major: Computer Science

Ethnicity/ cultural background: Ginger

Clubs/ sports teams you’ve been involved with since coming to Cal: Cal Women’s Rugby, Vagina Monologues, Theater for Charity           

You’ve been known to travel. This last summer, you made a trip to Michigan, and was born in Australia. Where’s your favorite place you’ve been? Back to bed after 8am math classes.

Favorite activity: It’s a tie between making forts and covering people in goldfish once they’ve fallen asleep.

Favorite television show, and why? That show with the direwolves.

What’s the last book you read? The last book I’ve finished was Tina Fey’s Bossypants. Last book I’ve started is Guns, Germs, and Steel, my ETA on being done is somewhere between 2018 and my midlife-crisis.

Being a hyper-intelligent being, and likely had the option to go to any campus on a national scale, what brought you to Cal?: The nickname “clairebear” was a lifetime of subliminal messaging, “clairewolverine” just doesn’t have the same ring to it. 

Why did you chose to study CS? What about it interests you? I chose CS because I purely enjoy practicing the art of suppressing fury toward machines by whispering them sweet nothings.

What are your career plans after graduating? Career plans include working in Antarctica, becoming a world class salsa dancer, finally tasting a cronut (croissant- doughnut), and backpacking through New Zealand. The order of such events had yet to be decided.

Describe your experience playing rugby freshman year: After hours of sitting in the library, there’s nothing more refreshing than running full speed at another person. It’s one of the best team sports I’ve been able to play, a great community, and the coaching staff for Cal is fantastic.

What was a memorable moment for you in the last year? Joining the Vagina Monologues [last spring] was one of the best things I’ve done in college.

What was your role with Vagina Monologues? I had the chance to meet 40 insanely powerful and intelligent women. I played a 72-year-old New Yorker. The casting judgment was questionable, as I was recently asked if I was in middle school, but the show was (and always is) a success. It’s a game-changing experience to see the show, let alone live it for a few months.

Can we expect to see you in any other productions on campus? To see more of this freckly face, come see productions done by Theater for Charity!

You have a personal style which should be featured on the Milan runway. Explain the motivation behind your style: I generally put on one thing in the morning, take it off, and then grab anything in the closet and by that time I’m late. We all pray that the second option includes pants. I’m mainly motivated by wanting to be warm and then finding myself horridly overdressed by noon on campus. Wearing superhero socks or 80s jackets are just a way for me too make sure nobody takes me too seriously. It’s a constant concern.

What is your favorite article of clothing? Smartwool socks.

You seem to have a very busy schedule, with class and extracurriculars. How do you manage it all? I start by buying the correct year’s planner and see where I can go from there.

Making new friends and delving into adventures seems to come naturally to you.

What advice do you have for those who struggle at jumping out of their comfort zone and trying new things? I’ve played Sandy-the-Dog in Annie and the Wicked Witch of the West. Start with wearing a dog costume in front of your entire school, move up to covering yourself with green paint, and from there, the sky is the limit.

Megan Ronan

UC Berkeley

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.