This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

College is the time where we find ourselves; we will discover what we are passionate about, who we are passionate about, and how we want to express these emotions.  The only problem is the constant changes we undergo while trying to discover this different aspects and parts of our lives.  It’s an uncomfortable, up-in-the-air kind of feeling, where you have no idea who you want to be or what kind of people you want to be around.  You may go through phases where you’re trying to participate in activities that you would never have thought could possibly fit inside of your comfort zone.  

We try to fit ourselves inside of this grey area where we don’t know whether what we are doing actually suits the kind of person that we almost-are.  We work to try to define ourselves, not just through what we have enjoyed in the past, but through what we could possibly enjoy in the future.  And the trouble is, it feels very forced.  

The world is full of a vast amount of opportunities, and we are only now holding the complete freedom we need to reach out and grab any of these opportunities that we deem fit out lives well enough to want to engrain them as a habit.  Deciding what habits are healthy and support your well-being is really difficult when you have no idea what kind of lifestyle you want to support.  

It’s especially difficult once you realize that you don’t have much time outside of classes, studying, or countless social events to decide who you are when you’re alone.  There’s little to no time to do this task which everyone tells you you will complete over the next few years.  

To make the breakdown even easier, it may be easier to start at the other end of the spectrum; instead of finding who you want to be, focus on who you don’t want to be.  Take away the aspects of your social activities and free time which support the type of person you would not be proud of yourself for turning into.  The best way to maintain your authenticity is by staying true to your values, and if that means that you have decided an activity is not for you, then you have every right to not have to participate in that activity.

Discovering who you want to be is quite a wild ride, and you are bound to try as many(or as few) new things as you can all throughout your four years on campus.  But, the one thing to remember is that you don’t have to do these activities for anyone else.  You don’t have to do anything, all you have to do is find a lifestyle that makes you feel comfortable.  

That being said, do not be afraid to try something that you would have never thought would be enjoyable to you.  You may just find something that fuels your positivity and drive in life.  For example, I didn’t rush a sorority my freshman year because I wanted to find myself outside of a group of other people.  Unfortunately for me, this made the beginning of college at a huge campus feel very lonely.  Then the processes of open bidding for greek life opened up, and the opportunity sort of just fell my way.  It’s a brand new experience, and it’s helping me thrive; sometimes you can find these types of lifestyle changes in places you never expected them to appear.

I am not saying that you need to find who we are right away during college, more that it’s okay to know what works and what doesn’t with the type of lifestyle you are planning on living after college.  Try to remain as true to the self that will make you the happiest you can be.

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.