This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With Halloween on a Tuesday this week, you might not be partying or getting too crazy on this weekday night, but fear not! Spooky songs can make any night into a memorable and fun evening! I have compiled a list of six spine-schilling songs to add to a halloween night playlist! Get into the mood of the season, and celebrate with a chillingly festive night full of amazing tunes.

• Thriller by Michael Jackson

• This is the song that defined Halloween in the eighties. The video, which premiered on MTV in 1983, is a classic Halloween icon, with the red leather outfit, the zombie transformation, and the amazing dance moves. The song is high-tempo and exciting, a perfect addition to any dance playlist.

• Monster Mash – Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers

• This song has been a perennial holiday favorite ever since its premiere in 1962. Narrated by a mad scientist whose monster rises from his slab to perform a new dance, this groovy new song and dance becomes “the hit of the land” when the scientist throws a party for other monsters. It is sure to get you grooving on holift night!

you are what you listen to
Unsplash

• This is Halloween – Danny Elfman

• From the classic film, The Nightmare Before Christmas, will bring you back to your childhood, and you will be super grateful for it! With the spooky yet friendly citizens of Halloweentown singing along, this song will transport you to the spooky world of the holiday. Its peppy tune yet chilling lyrics will make you love the holiday!

• Time Warp – The Rocky Horror Picture Show

• This fun song was featured in the 1973 rock musical The Rocky Horror Show and in its 1975 film adaptation The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It may be a few decades old, but it will never fail in bringing you to your feet and making you move! Now a staple at weddings and parties too, the song will terrify you right to the dance floor!

Concert with confetti
Photo by Pablo Heimplatz on Unsplash

• Highway to Hell – AC/DC

• This song may not be specifically written for Halloween time, but it’s hard rock vibe will shake you to your core! It will pump up any playlist, bringing every person to their feet. The killer guitar solos and upbeat music tempo will electrify any event on Halloween night!

• Ghostbusters – Ray Parker, Jr.

• Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! This Oscar-nominated song from the 1984  cult classic Ghostbusters is an exciting song that brings back good memories for almost everyone. This theme song is a classic addition to any playlist, sure to make your song list the ultimate collection of Halloween tunes!

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.