5 Staple Food Items to Get You Through College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As soon as I hit eighteen, I moved out of the house and began to support myself financially. Bills, rent, consistently doing laundry are among the many things that were all on me at this point. However, the one that affected my routine most of all was food buying and preparation. The college experience, in all of its multifaceted glory, comes in many manifestations; the consistent fact from these manifestations is that it takes up a lot of time, be it from schoolwork itself, a job, internship, clubs, sports team, and the list goes on. Regardless of whether or not you have meal plan, there are five quick staple food items that you will rarely find me without.

1. Bananas: They are the quickest and easiest fruit option on the go. Throw them in your backpack and they won’t make a mess all over your notebooks. Bananas work well as an instrument to consume Nutella (helps me feel slightly healthier than just gorging Nutella with a spoon) Also, bananas are a sweet option to chop up and put on oatmeal or toast. Really it is such a versatile fruit.

1. Oatmeal: I have the oatmeal versus cereal debate all the time, but again my big thing with these foods is versatility, and oatmeal is the more versatile option. All you need is hot water and you have your basic oatmeal, but there are so many variations of it. My personal favorite is maple syrup, chia seeds, figs, and strawberries with my oatmeal. 

1. Some Sort of Granola-esque Bar: I know granola bars are constantly repeated over and over again in these types of articles, but they are for a reason! Now I totally get not being a fan of the classic Nature Valley Oats and Honey Granola Bar and its relatives, I get it believe me I am not at all. Nevertheless, there are so many different kinds of these bars that it is worth trying a few out to find what you love. I get Nature’s Bakery Fig Bars from Costco and love them. Staple snack all the way!

1. Soup: Since variety and versatility are my big things, I feel compelled to include soup on this list. From Thai Coconut Curry to Tomato Soup to Vegetable Stew, you can never go wrong with an assortment of soups. I always have a nice creamy soup like Butternut Squash or Sweet Potato tucked away for my more relaxed nights. Pair with a crusty French bread for dipping and you’re all set. 

1. Microwavable Meal: Let’s be real, we all get lazy and want a meal that is easy preparation and cleanup; microwavable meals provide this and should always be something you have in stock. Similar to granola bars, find one that you love and can stand to eat (very) often. My choice is Annie’s Microwavable Mac and Cheese.
  2.  
Zoe Kiely

UC Berkeley

Find me at the airport, at a concert, or in my bed. You can also just email me: zmkiely@berkeley.edu
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.