5 Comedies on Netflix that are Actually Worth Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The situation is all too familiar. You just got after a long day at work or school. You’re exhausted from all the daily stress of school, and all you want to do is unwind and enjoy a couple hours of relaxation. What better way to de-stress than a good, old comedy? We could all use a good laugh, but there’s only one problem: it seems like every comedy you find on Netflix is either way too cheesy, raunchy, or inane. With nowhere else to turn, you’re forced to watch yet another episode of Parks and Rec or The Office in order to experience a quality laugh.

It may seem like Netflix’s selection of comedic films is a bottomless barrel of second-rate films full of absurd characters and ridiculous plot lines. However, there are a few great films that are sure to make you burst into laughter! Here are five comedies on Netflix that are actually worth watching:

A fuzzy screen in the back ground might say \"netflix\" but the image\'s selective focus is on a mug of some sort.
Pexels

• Forgetting Sarah Marshall: This is not just your typical rom-com. After getting blindsided when his actress girlfriend breaks up with him, Peter Bretter, played by Jason Segel, decides to go to Hawaii to forget about his woes. There’s only one problem – his girlfriend ends up in the same spot . . . with her new boyfriend. Jason Segel, alongside Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis, shines as an adorably awkward and relatable protagonist in a film that brings countless laughs.

• Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby: This comedy centers on NASCAR racer, Ricky Bobby, as he navigates his complicated family life, a challenge from a fellow French professional driver, and an attempt to re-enter the racing world. With a diverse mix of satire and clever gags, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly create a hilarious duo within an even more hilarious film.

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

• Meet the Parents: “I have nipples, Greg, could you milk me?” With lines of pure comedic gold, like this one, Meet the Parents is a solid film. With incredible comedic chemistry and star power between the two stars of the film, Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro, this movie takes a hilarious look at familial relationships. Stiller plays Greg “Gaylord” Focker, De Niro’s future son-in-law, but the relationship quickly turns sour after everything that can possibly go wrong – does.

• Ocean’s Eleven: Okay, so this might not be a traditional “comedy,” but this American heist film will definitely make you laugh. These eleven men form a rag-tag group of con artists and ex-cons, who all team up to complete the biggest heist of their careers, but with so much going wrong along the way, the film is packed with action as well as comedy. The characters are lovable, and the acting is taken to new heights, with an ensemble cast of memorable names, such as George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Matt Damon, to name a few. This film is great fun from beginning to end.

woman eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

• Tropic Thunder: Ben Stiller makes another appearance on this list, but there is definitely a reason behind it! This time, Stiller shakes things up with an all-star cast, including Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, and even Tom Cruise (in a fat suit). The movie takes a satirical look at the Hollywood film-making process by spoofing stereotypes and cracking memorable one-liners. Tropic Thunder definitely challenges convention by taking some dangerous risks, but the film is a comedic winner.

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!