This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Let’s face it, as busy college students it can be challenging to read for fun, especially with so many classes that have required readings. Not only does schoolwork take the fun out of reading, but it leaves many of us with less time to read for our own pleasure. If you find yourself wanting to read a book for fun but just can’t fit it into your schedule, read on for some helpful tips. You are bound to become an avid reader by the time this semester is over!

#1: Pick a book that you are genuinely interested in.

One of the reasons why it can be hard to read for fun is that you’re not choosing books that you find interesting. Maybe you start a book but quickly realize that it’s not for you. The good news is that even if you find a particular book boring, there is an endless amount of books out there waiting to be read. After all, while some books may have their similarities, no two books are the same. To avoid falling into the trap of giving up on a book, pick one that sounds very appealing to you. I highly recommend checking out Goodreads (please sponsor me), where you can browse books by genre, read book reviews, and get recommendations based on books that you have already read. I also recommend checking out the several book communities on social media, such as BookTube or BookTok, where you’ll find so many amazing book lovers recommending their favorites. 

#2: Form a book club with friends.

group of people studying and reading at a kitchen table
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

I can’t think of a better way to read for fun than by doing it with friends! By picking out a book and taking time to discuss it together, it will be impossible to not stick to reading. Depending on the book you read, you can all fangirl, cry, or experience a new world together. 

#3: Start or end your day with a book.

Ditch using your phone first thing in the morning or right before you go to sleep and read a book instead. If you are like me and mindlessly scroll through social media, immersing yourself in a new world through a book will do wonders. Put your book right by your bed and set aside half an hour (or whatever seems right to you) just for reading. Reading with a lamp turned on in bed is a great method of self-care! By adding a book to your daily routine, you’ll be reading for fun just about every day in no time.

#4: Procrastinate by reading.

Woman reading a book in bed
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

If you are a procrastinator, reading for fun is a great way to continue procrastinating! (Just make sure to eventually put aside what you’re reading and complete your tasks.) Read a couple of chapters (or more) before starting your work. Something that I enjoy doing is reading while taking breaks from schoolwork, especially if I’m working on a long assignment that isn’t due the following day.  

#5: Set a reading goal.

While setting a reading goal is helpful in challenging yourself to read more, it could potentially make reading seem like just another task to complete. If you feel like this would not be the case for you, then I suggest creating a reading goal on Goodreads. Goodreads allows users to make a yearly reading goal and is a great way to keep track of the books you’ve read. Unfortunately, Goodreads only allows annual goals, but having a weekly or monthly goal is a great way to keep up with shorter-term reading objectives. Maybe you want to finish reading one book every week or two books every month. Whatever it may be, don’t feel pressured to stick to it.

Brianna Astorga

UC Berkeley '21

Brianna is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Media Studies and Sociology. She loves binge watching shows on Netflix, reading fantasy novels, and is obsessed with Taylor Swift's latest album.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.