20 Netflix Movies to Watch Before Dead Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Dead Week during fall semester always seems to sneak up on us in the worst way. We go from enjoying turkey and family during Thanksgiving one week, and cramming for a semester’s worth of work in 3 days the next week. It’s miserable, it’s sleepless, and it’s approaching. Before you prepare to barricade yourself in Main Stacks in early December, spend this beautiful vacation between the end of midterms and the impending start of finals by de-stressing with a few movies you probably haven’t seen on Netflix.

1. Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs is one of those movies I found not enough people in their twenties have seen. Everyone’s heard of it, but nobody watches it anymore. It’s tragic. Maybe because it was a Tarantino masterpiece that made its debut before we were born, but it’s a classic that will go down as arguably one of the greatest movies of all time. It encapsulates all badass essentials which make a Tarantino masterpiece: fly suits, a criminal plot, blood, tears, and Tim Roth.

2. Liberal Arts

Have you ever wondered what else that main guy from “How I Met Your Mother” is in? You might be surprised to know Josh Radnor (aka Ted Mosby) is actually a super talented filmmaker. He wrote and directed this indie romance about a relationship between him and a much younger collegiette (Elizabeth Olson). It has that warmth and beautifully simplistic dialogue that only indie films can pull off. Who knew Mary Kate and Ashley had such a talented younger sister?

3. The Cabin in the Woods

This film is perfect for those who sort-of like horror movies, but can’t handle all the intense stuff that’s going on in theaters right now. It blends funny dialogue, interesting plot twists, gruesome deaths, sex and decent acting. Nothing is worse than a low-budget horror movie with terrible actors. Plus, Chris Hemsworth is in it and is as hot as ever.

4. The Sweetest Thing

Can anyone get enough of Cameron Diaz? Take a look at Cameron pre-Charlie’s Angels in this amazing classic 90s Rom Com. It’s funny, witty, feminine and romantic.

5. Your Sister’s Sister

Your Sister’s Sister is a hidden gem. The concept it totally original, but stays true to the simplicity of the typical indie movie genre. It’s about a somewhat twisted love triangle involving Emily Blunt and Brendan the Midwife from “The Mindy Project” (the talented filmmaker, Mark Duplass). You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll get angry, and you’ll wonder.

6. Short Term 12

This film was assumed to be a small indie movie that only a few people would ever watch. But its big wins at the SXSW Film Festival a few years back solidified its awesomeness. Short Term 12 is a heartbreaking portrayal of a foster facility housing amazing children in unfortunate circumstances. Brie Larson promises to be among the great actresses of our time after her work in this film.

7. Bronson

Tom Hardy plays one of the world’s most noted imprisoned psychopaths, Charles Bronson. Even if you’re not particularly in to movies with a little violence and bizarre monologues, you need to see this movie for Hardy’s acting. He’s one of the only actors who can make a bald head and long mustache look sexy.

8. Prince Avalanche

Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch might seem like the weirdest on-screen duo ever, but they’re surprisingly perfect together. Rudd plays an uptight boss to Hirsch’s irresponsible younger moron. It sounds like an over-wrought plot, but it’s deep and emotional in a way that hasn’t been done.

9. Rachel Getting Married

I can’t think of a movie Anne Hathaway hasn’t been amazing in. She proved she can play a good girl in Princess Diaries, a sexy cat-woman in The Dark Knight, a desperate and heartbreaking beggar in Les Mis, and an edgy junkie in Rachel Getting Married. This film is a twisted take on family togetherness, and unlike anything Anne Hathaway has ever done.

10. Inequality for All

It seems only right we support our fellow Berkeley students and teachers in all their academic and creative endeavors. This Robert Reich documentary on urban poverty in the US is a must-watch not only because he is a Cal celebrity, but because it’s honest and eye-opening. Our very own Wheeler Hall makes a cameo as well.

11. Extract

Jason Bateman doesn’t go too far outside of his usual not-so-lucky boss role in this film, but he’s so good at it we don’t even care. Add Mila Kunis in the mix and you’ve got comedy genius.

12. You’ve Got Mail

This is another one of those classic movies that I hear a lot of people referencing, but very few college kids these days have actually seen. It’s a total shame, because it’s possibly the best romantic comedy of all time. There has never been an on-screen romance that can compare to Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Not to mention the late Nora Ephron is also one of the greatest filmmakers of all time (works include When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and Julie & Julia) and every young aspiring writer’s idol.

13. One Day

I first read the book One Day by David Nicholls before watching the film. I was slightly skeptical toward the movie at first; Nicholls is a brilliant writer and I worried the character relationships and romance and detail would be lost. But, the movie adaptation does its job. If you’re looking to opt out of the frats on a Saturday night and curl up to a unique romance and ice cream instead, I would recommend doing it with this film.

14. Bachelorette

Bachelorette is one of the most highly-underrated comedies of the year. A darker twist on Bridesmaids, this film includes coke binges, bad wedding toasts, bathroom sex scenes, strippers, hot guys, and Rebel Wilson.

15. Hot Rod

This film includes all the necessary players in a comedy A+: Andy Samberg, Danny McBride, Bill Hader, Will Arnett and Isla Fisher. Hot Rod is about a delusional stunt man (Andy Samberg) trying to one-up his step dad by raising money for his heart transplant. I know, it doesn’t make any sense, but that’s what makes it even more hilarious. If you’re a fan of SNL, you’ll fall in love with this comedy.

16. Lawless

Is there any role Tom Hardy can’t play? He plays a country rebel aside Shia LaBeouf and Jessica Chastain in this film. It’s nothing short of captivating. A drama with a little violence, romance and alcohol, you’ll be on the edge of your seat the whole time.

17. Louis C.K. “Hilarious”

Everyone knows the genius of Louis C.K.; his stand-up combines hilarious commentary and intelligent humor. He’s not a comedian who will stand up and tell a low-grade dirty bathroom joke for 45 minutes. He likes to bring up relevant issues in a comedic light, and this stand-up special is no different. It’s an hour and a half of some of his greatest work (including a bit where he ends up referring to his young daughter an arrogant asshole).

18. Frances Ha

Frances Ha is a pleasant surprise. It’s a story all college ladies can relate to—over-dependence on your best friend and having to figure out how to function when she imposes some distance between you two. It’s a platonic romance between two young girls, and it’s an absolutely beautiful and real portrayal.

19. Drinking Buddies

Drinking Buddies is not a movie for those who like nice, clean endings, and the need to predict the characters’ next move before they make them. However, it’s an indie romance with interesting twists and turns to where you end up somewhere in the story you didn’t expect to be. Olivia Wilde plays a character I love to imagine she is in real life— a relaxed girl who works at a brewery, wears no makeup but is somehow the most gorgeous one in the room, and can hang with the boys like no one’s business.

20. Zodiac

Jake Gyllenhaal seems to choose those dark and twisted dramas to star in (e.g. Prisoners, Night Crawlers, Donnie Darko), and Zodiac is no different. Zodiac is an intense thriller about the Zodiac Killer of the 70s. It’s a true story which makes it all the more terrifying.

Photos courtesy of flixster.com, rottentomat

Megan Ronan

UC Berkeley

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.