This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As you must already be aware, International Women’s Day is on March 8th. Generally, the women celebrated on this day are famous for their contributions to society and their fight for gender equality. It is a day of recognition and pride. This year, I decided that although focusing on celebrities is important, we should also recognize the contributions the women of our everyday lives make. Here is my list of the women you should thank in your life! 

1. Your Mom 

First and foremost, your mom. She’s your first female role model, and will always be one of the most important people in your life. Personally, I want to thank my mom for always standing by side and defending me (even when I was wrong), showing me what strength is, and teaching me the importance of being independent and supporting yourself. She’s always just a phone call away, and my number one fan. Because of her and the moms like her, I am empowered to pursue my dreams.  

2. Your Grandmother 

Another powerful female role model in your life: your grandma! (or grandmas). I want to thank my grandma for making me feel like the most important person in the world, being on my side when my mom and I disagreed, and always telling me I should eat more. My grandma also taught me that I shouldn’t be afraid to stand up for myself and speak my mind. I also want to thank all the grandmas for working hard to ensure our generation of women are treated more equally than they were. 

3. Your Best Friend 

She’s the main character in most of your favourite memories, always there to listen when you just need someone to vent to, and will never judge you for your mistakes. I want to thank my best friend for teaching me the importance of female friendship, and that when we support and build one another, women are unstoppable. She continues to inspire me, challenge me, and tell me when I’m being ridiculous. Here’s to all the best friends out there because we couldn’t survive without them!

4. Your Teacher  

Whether it be in elementary school, high school, or university, we all have female teachers that inspired and provided us with tools that we will use for the rest of our lives. I want to thank my elementary school teacher for showing me how to use my imagination in a postive way; without her, I would not have developed my love for writing. I want to thank my high school teacher for exposing me to the importance of giving back to the community; without her, I never would have gone on a volunteer trip to Ghana. I want to thank my current and future professors that challenge me and show me how intelligent, diverse, and capable women are. 

After reading this list, I hope you feel inspired to thank the women in your life that make you who you are, and make you proud to be a woman. Happy International Women’s Day! 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.