courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Love Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

It’s true for the most part that when February 14th comes around, people will either cower away from it in spite, or embrace it with open arms and a box of chocolates. I tend to fall into the second category, not because my Valentine’s Days have always been full of Romantic Comedy worthy dates, but instead, Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favourite holidays because of my family. 

Every year, I’d wake up on the morning of Valentine’s Day excited. I’d run to the kitchen where, without fail, my mom would have a delicious breakfast and a present waiting. The food would be something extravagant like homemade Eggs Benedict, and the present was always some adorable, fluffy teddy bear with heart shaped eyes. And, of course, there would be a Valentine’s card signed by her and my dad. 

That night, after school and work, my family and I would get dressed up for dinner. My dad, our personal chef, would cook up some fabulous meal like lamb tenderloin and yorkshire pudding. For dessert, my mom would bake something delicious like cheesecake or chocolate mousse. We would sit down together and pretend we were at some fancy restaurant, laughing as we exchanged stories about our days. My parents would let my brother and I have a small glass of white wine, and I’d feel extremely loved and important. 

But, as I grew older, I started to notice that not everyone felt this way. To other people, this day meant loneliness and jealousy. Couples showed off their love with giant teddy bears, candy, and beautiful jewelry. If you didn’t have a girlfriend or boyfriend, people would look at you with pity and assure you that “maybe next year” you’d have a date. In my opinion, this wasn’t what the holiday should be about. 

I think that media and Western culture places the utmost importance on romantic love. Finding “the One”, discovering your soulmate, etc. – it’s considered the ultimate goal. People are led to believe that until they find this magical relationship, they will never be truly happy or complete. 

To me, that’s insane. Love is not limited to romance, and Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be either. I have many soulmates, and they are my best friends. When my romantic relationships have come to an end, I was still loved – even more so – by my family and friends who stick with me. These are the relationships that I cherish and the ones that I celebrate on February 14th. 

If, to you, this day is one where you are proud to shower your partner with affection then, by all means, please do. I am not writing this because I am against the classic love showcased on Valentine’s Day. Rather, I believe that all types of love should be celebrated. 

If you hate this holiday because you don’t have a partner to share it with, try adjusting your perspective. You are loved and complete without a BF/GF, and you have people that you love too. Instead of worrying about finding a date, why not send your mom flowers? Tell your best friend why they are so important to you? We can never have too much love in this world, which is why I will never stop loving Valetine’s Day. 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.