This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Legally Blonde is every little girl’s 2001 goals. Reese Witherspoon impersonates the beloved Elle Woods, one of the most powerful feminists in pop culture.

Legally Blonde is not a love story, even though it starts with Warner and ends up with Emmett. This is a movie about a girl looking for a husband who ends up in one of the world’s most prestigious Law schools, and by her own effort becomes the best student and launches her career.

Many people underestimated her intelligence but she proves them wrong. After long hours of studying, hard work, and perseverance, she got into Law School. She expresses herself and she is not afraid of what people think of her. The color pink is her symbol, and while many people would think it is too feminine for a lawyer, it suites her perfectly. That is what made her original and interesting.

When her professor sexually harasses her, she immediately rejects him and although she almost gives up her passion, she returns and understands no guy can bring her down again.

She inspires confidence in her salon friend by showing her that she is worth more than she thinks, and that she should stand up for herself when men treat her badly. Elle also befriends the girl who should be her competition (ex-boyfriend’s new fiancee) and the women support each other at the end.

If that wasn’t enough, Elle solves a major murder case in her first year of Harvard Law. 

In conclusion: Elle Wood’s is one of the media’s first feminist icons, and remains a true hero today. 

Andrea is a third-year student at UBC majoring in Human Resources and Business Technology Management. Andrea loves running, hikes, romantic comedies and exploring new places. She is looking forward to sharing so many ideas, thoughts, and opinions on the Her Campus platform.