What Going Home for The Holidays Means to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Home for me is London, Ontario, which is approximately a five hour plane ride from Vancouver. Every student that’s lived away from home would know the ups and downs of living alone. The independence and freedom are fun, but there’s also times where it’s lonely and sad. I finished my last exam and went straight to the airport because I was so excited to go back home for the holidays! Here are just a few of the things that going home for the holidays means to me:

1. Seeing my family

Even though I make sure to call my family at least once a week, it’s difficult to live alone and not have them near me. My favourite moment is arriving at the airport with my family waiting for me and ready to take me home!

2. Sleeping in my own bed

Not that there’s anything wrong with my dorm bed at UBC, but my bed at home feels extra comfy and has a familiar, homey feeling to it.

3. Eating my favourite foods

Going back home means waking up to my mom’s home cooking and visiting my favourite hometown restaurants that I’ve been craving.

4. Hanging out with hometown friends

Going home means seeing all my hometown friends and catching up on each other’s lives!

5. Relaxation and healing

School life-and especially the stressful exam season-calls for some quality naps, holiday movies, hot chocolate, and relaxing by the fire! The holidays are a time where we can recharge and de-stress before the next school term.

Enjoy your well-deserved break and have a very happy holiday HC UBC!

Gif source: https://giphy.com/

Emma is a fourth year student, majoring in Sociology w/ a minor in Environmental Studies. She aspires to be a travel & lifestyle editor and enjoys any drink with mint and lime.
Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.