Slowing Down Fast Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Have you ever cleaned out your closet and found clothing you’ve either never worn, or bought a long time ago but have only worn once or twice? Not judging you, because I definitely have. You go shopping, see a shirt that’s only $5, not exactly your style but what a deal, and you head to the cashier. I used to be an impulse shopper, until I realized my empty wallet isn’t the only sad outcome of my mindless consumption.

Fast fashion is a term that describes the rapid pace of changing trends and production of clothing. Mainstream fashion retailers are updating their merchandise faster than ever, pressuring consumers to keep up with the trends. The fast fashion industry is growing, and with it comes consequences. There are millions of factory workers in the fashion industry that are exploited and forced to work in harsh conditions with a barely livable wage. The 2013 Rana Plaza building collapse, in which over 1100 people died, is an example of the horrific aftermath of workers being denied their rights and put to work in unsafe buildings while receiving wages that cannot sustain them. There are serious environmental consequences as well, with the fashion industry being the second largest polluter in the world. It’s going to be really difficult to just stop buying products of the fast fashion industry, but there are some simpler ways to reduce your ethical and environmental footprint.

1. Look up ethical fashion brands

If you do some online research, you’ll find plenty of brands that are transparent, sustainable, and respect workers and ensure that they get fair wages and safe working conditions. Several of them are also Vancouver based, which allows you to support local businesses. 

Photo taken from http://moralfibres.co.uk/ethical-clothing-infographic/

2. Try out thrift shopping or clothing swaps

Buying second-hand clothing is a great way to reduce your footprint, while saving you some money. Thrift stores are filled with fashion items of all types, brands, and styles. Once you get used to finding and sorting out what you want in the racks and piles of clothing, chances are you’ll find something perfect and unique for your look!

3. Reach out to your favourite fashion brands

Email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are all simple ways to ask your favourite companies to be more transparent and ethically and environmentally conscious; you have more power than you think.

4. Ask yourself “how many times will I wear this?”

This is a tip I learned a long time ago, and continue to use. Before buying any fashion item, ask yourself: “Will I wear this at least 30 times?” Stop buying things you’re only going to wear once or twice! Look for items that are better quality and will last longer, and you know that you’ll wear often. Not only will this save you a lot of money, but it will also decrease your contribution to the problem. 

If you want to know more about fast fashion, check out the documentary film The True Cost  and remember, we, as consumers, vote with our money. Stay fashionable the right way, HC UBC. 

All Gifs taken from https://giphy.com/

Emma is a fourth year student, majoring in Sociology w/ a minor in Environmental Studies. She aspires to be a travel & lifestyle editor and enjoys any drink with mint and lime.
Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.