This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

With only weeks left in the semester, the end is near. As I realized I’d soon have plenty of free time, my eyes were drawn to the very sad books that sat unread on my shelf, collecting dust. One of my favourite places to be is in a bookstore. I love old bookstores that you stumble upon like a hidden gem, but I’m also a fan of the larger chains like Chapters. One thing that always seems to happen, however, is that I buy piles of books and then never find the time to read them. To inspire myself (and you) I decided to make a winter reading list. Don’t worry, this list is strictly for fun – nothing will be tested or academically reviewed. 

1. The Carrie Diaries – Candace Bushnell 

As an avid fan of Sex and the City, I became immediately interested when I stumbled upon this book in the 50% off pile at Chapters. The book follows Carrie Bradshaw before she is a fabulous writer with the best wardrobe to ever exist. Instead, Carrie is a regular small-town girl in her senior year of high school and the midst of college applications, doubts about the future, and first love. I’m really excited to gain some insight into Carrie’s past, and to see how she survived without Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha. 

2. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte 

I read this book ages ago in ninth grade, but I’ve been meaning to read it again. The first time I read this classic I thought it was okay but the old-style writing often resulted in frustration and boredom. Now that I am much older and wiser, I want to give it another chance; bring it on, Heathcliff. 

3. Since You’ve Been Gone – Morgan Matson 

No, this book isn’t based on Kelly Clarkson’s song by the same name. Instead, it follows teenage Emily whose best friend, Sloan, goes missing before summer vacation. Emily has no idea where her best friend is, but she does have a to-do list Sloan left behind. On it, Sloan has challenged Emily to thirteen strange tasks including “kiss a stranger” and “go skinny-dipping”. I chose this book because it weirdly reminded me of both Pretty Little Liars and Paper Towns. Either way, I’m a sucker for teen fiction and mysteries. 

4. Messy – Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan 

Sixteen-year-old Brooke Berlin hires outsider Max McCormack as the ghost writer for her Hollywood “It Girl” blog.  When the site blows up, both girls must work extra hard to hide the truth and protect what they’ve built. This book sounds like the plot to a really entertaining reality show which is why I couldn’t resist. In addition, I’m fascinated by the Hollywood scene and the extents people will go to to be famous. Also, if anyone wants to pay me tons of money to run their blog I probably wouldn’t say no. 

5. The You I’ve Never Known – Ellen Hopkins 

Ellen Hopkins is one of my favourite writers so when I saw this book I almost screamed with delight. Honestly, I brought it to the register without even checking what it was about. Now that I’ve read the back, my excitement has only grown. The book follows two young girls, Ariel and Maia, as they deal with family issues. Left behind by her mom when she was a baby, Ariel has only her father to depend on. When they are finally settled in one place after years of moving around, Ariel’s mother shows up with allegations that her father kidnapped her all those years ago. Meanwhile, Maia runs away from an abusive home and ends up pregnant with a boy that she barely knows. I am so excited to read this book that I might start it before studying…whoops. 

Alright, if anyone needs me in the next month, I’ll be buried under piles of books and blankets – tea is always welcomed.  

Gifs taken from https://giphy.com/; images taken from Google images 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.