Meet Aidan: UBC’s Slacklining President!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Aidan has been one of my good friends since middle school. In time that I’ve known him, he has always been confident, outspoken, and hilarious. Another awesome thing about Aidan? He’s currently the president of the slacklining club at UBC. Here’s a quick look into a few of Aidan’s favourite things, words of advice, and world of slacklining:

Name: Aidan Middleton 

Hometown: Salmon Arm, BC 

Year: Second

Major: Biology

Favourite place on campus: The cliffs behind Vanier residence is one of my favorite places anywhere. 

Why did you choose UBC: I wanted to be in Vancouver. 

Favourite Food: Cheesecake. 

Current song you are playing on repeat: Rum Rage, Sticky Fingers. 

How long have you been slackllning: a year and a half.

How did you hear about the slacklining club: I started slacklining the summer before first year and got hooked on it so I sought out a slackline club when I got to UBC.

How did you become president: We were a fairly small club and I was really stoked on slacking at the time, and the old president was graduating, so it sort of fell to me. 

Favourite memory with the club: Being taken out to walk my first highline at Cypress Falls in first year-it was an awesome stepping stone and a pretty fantastic day.

Where does the club usually meet on campus to slackline: Behind IKB is the usual spot. We’re pretty hard to miss there. We always post on the page if we’re going anywhere else, but that’s our default spot.

Advice for your freshman self: Go to class more you idiot!

Any quotes you guide your life by: from hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, “don’t panic.” I like to try and remind myself of that when I’m stressed.

TV/movie/literary character you most identify with: I always wanted to be Harry Potter as a kid.

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.