This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

“New year new me” is probably the most used phrase once January hits. We all become determined to transform into this new and improved person and vow to go to the gym every day, quit sugar, or save more money-the list goes on. But let’s be honest to ourselves, we all make extreme resolutions and they last for maybe a month (often much less).

For 2018, I want to make resolutions that are realistic and easily doable. Here’s a list of my achievable 2018 goals:

1. Refill my water bottle at least once a day

Essentially, my goal is to drink more water. I found that making more specific goals helps me reach my resolutions and keep me from feeling overwhelmed. Instead of just “drink more water”, my resolution is to drink water from my reusable water bottle and refill it at least once a day to insure that I am drinking at least two bottles per day.

2. Prepare meals and snacks the night before

To eat healthier and to save money, the best thing to do is to stop eating out and to cook for myself at home. However, I found that eating in was much harder than I expected, especially because I’m running around campus all day and the temptation of buying a fast and ready meal is too strong. Making a large batch of pasta or cutting up fruits the night before and packing them up in the fridge is a great way to get yourself to eat that food the day after or take it to go!

3. Do a mini workout before bed

If you’ve ever gone to the gym during the first half of January, you know that it’s completely full of people that have made the same resolution to work out more in the new year. I used to be one of those people that buy gym passes, go for a month or two, then get lazy and quit. The most comfortable place to be for most people is laying on their bed. I’ve found that doing simple workouts on my bed before I go to sleep has me exercising on a daily basis and making my body feel more fit! You can read here for some exercises you can do on your bed.

Hopefully these realistic goals will help and inspire you to achieve your own New Year’s resolutions. It’s also important to keep in mind, however, that even if you take baby steps towards your end goal, you are still moving forward

All gifs taken from giphy.com 

Emma is a fourth year student, majoring in Sociology w/ a minor in Environmental Studies. She aspires to be a travel & lifestyle editor and enjoys any drink with mint and lime.
Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.