This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Sauder is a well-known, prestigious faculty inside UBC, ranking 19th globally for business and economics studies. Professors are entertaining, well prepared and extremely professional. When I began my first year at Sauder, I felt a sense of belonging because everyone was as hardworking, driven and competitive as I am. Little did I know that for that same reason, it would eventually cause me to shudder every time I am walked through the hallways of CPA Hall.

Throughout my academic formation, I have realized one thing: your only competition should be yourself. Yet in Sauder, beside the academic pressure of assignments and exams, you are forced to compete with your peers.

The whole “Snake” term seems appropriate to me. I have met many amazing people, but I have also met people whose only interest is talking about themselves, their executive positions and how many LinkedIn connections they have acquired.

When I first came to UBC, I was excited about the countless clubs offered. I decided to try and join some of the clubs, and to apply for some executive positions. As an International Student, my main concern was trying to make friends and I thought joining clubs would help me to not feel lonely in a new city. Instead, I was rejected by all four clubs. Meanwhile, people were getting more than one position in the exclusive Sauder clubs; it made me question if I was the problem.

One year later…the hissing and snake shaming in Imagine Day happened. Was it appropriate? No. Was it necessary? No. Was it truthful? YES! Last year, the term Snake was given to Sauder students. Some people did not mind, some people got offended, and some people made a joke out of it. Many people in Sauder opted for a “let’s make fun of what people hate us for” attitude. Anytime they uploaded a photo on Instagram, an emoji of a Snake would be included. Insta bio’s and Facebook posts were loaded with the little green emoji and the word Snake for a whole year. But when other people referred to them as Snakes, they would get extremely defensive and offended.

One year has gone by, and I have barely made any meaningful relationships with the people inside my faculty. The only conversations I have are about assignments due, what the Iclicker question answer is and if I have or have not applied to clubs. University is already overwhelming, we don’t need other people reminding us what we are constantly stressed about.

Note: I admit I have messaged a couple of people before just to ask for answers, and I don’t feel proud about that. Sauder is a great place, let’s stop competing and let’s help each other grow! Inclusiveness is what matters in such a diverse campus and city.

Gifs from Giphy.com

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.