element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holiday Traditions from UBC Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

There are as many holiday traditions as there are families that celebrate those holidays. Some involve films, some involve snow, but all involve spending good times with good people. Here are a few from our very own UBC students.

“My brother and I still wake up our parents on Christmas morning, but now we do it by blasting a silly carol from an episode of our favourite radio show (Cabin Pressure: Molokai). One character mishears ‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’ as ‘Get Dressed Ye Merry Gentlemen’. We crank it to the max and singing along at top volume.”

“My favourite tradition is watching “A Christmas Story” every Christmas Eve. It’s the most ridiculous, outdated movie and we all just make fun of it the whole time.”

Watching ‘Elf’ because Buddy is a pure soul, and ‘Die Hard’ because John McClane is the ultimate badass and and Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber is the best.”

Bothering my brother for watching ‘Elf’ every year.”

“Go to the beach and eat fish’n’chips. Have Nana’s (secret recipe!) apricot-glazed ham for Christmas Dinner”

“We don’t celebrate the holidays, but winter vacation is when all my high school friends come home from all over the country and we get a chance to hang out again. We play card games, trade stories, moan about courses, and stay up all night being immature. It’s exactly what we all need to recover from exams.”

“Hope really REALLY hard for snow. Get disappointed every year.

Photo Credits: clippervacations.com, giphy.com

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.