This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Whether she is strutting the runways of New York Fashion Week, in class learning how to make artificial intelligence more sustainable, or fighting for what is right through her work as a humanitarian, Tanya Paul is definitely a woman worth knowing, and I can’t wait for you all to get to know her!

Basics 

Name:  Tanya Paul

Hometown: I was born in St. Lucia, however I spent most of my life in France then moved to Switzerland.

Major: Cognitive Systems which is the study of Artificial Intelligence through 4 branches: Philosophy, Psychology, Linguistic and Computer Science.

HC UBC: Why did you choose to attend UBC?

TP: I chose UBC for various reasons. For starters, UBC offers quality education, and has a high ranking. UBC really enables students to reach their full potential thanks to an incredible amount of resources in different domains. This includes the ability for each to be exposed to various career opportunities, volunteering, as well as, express your ideas and develop personal projects. Secondly, I chose UBC because of its environment. It’s a big change from all the places I used to live in. This allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and learn about a different life style.

HC UBC: What’s favourite thing about UBC?

TP: My favourite thing about UBC it’s the campus! The campus is so rich in various architecture, very well taken care of. Nature is highly present, with beautiful flowers and nicely aligned trees. I especially enjoy observing the transition of landscape that follows in harmony with each season. There is so much to see within UBC that it seems there will always be some new place to discover. Actually, each time I make new friends, they show me a place that I wasn’t aware of before and vice versa.

HC UBC: What are you most passionate about?

TP: I might sound like a nerd but I am passionate about knowledge and philosophy. This idea that the world we live in is actually a reflection of different minds connected through different spatiotemporal units – I find it fascinating. I am also passionate about humanitarianism. I have always been involved in volunteering and tried to take action based on issues mentioned in the sustainable development goals.

HC UBC: What inspired you to pursue modeling?

TP: Well, I’ve always been interested in arts, and modeling is one form of [art]. It helped me strengthen my self-confidence and also pushes me on both mental and physical aspects. I also love working with a team. 

HC UBC: If you could meet any person in the world and hang out with them for a day, who would it be and why?

TP: Stephen Hawking, I read a lot of his books, and his work fascinate me. I wish I could have a conversation with him, about his perspective [on the] human race as well as why he thinks philosophy is dead.

HC UBC: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

TP: I know that people tend to think that I am mostly serious, but whenever I am with my friends I tend to be the funny one haha!

HC UBC: Who is your inspiration and why?

TP: There is no particular individual from whom I get all my inspiration – it is really fragments of different individuals, their experiences, speeches, and stories that enabled me to be inspired. 

HC UBC: Involvement on Campus?

TP: This year I decided to get involved in different clubs. So the first one is Young Women in Business; this club really empowers women, and helps them to develop skills and personal-growth in various ways. I would really encourage any woman on campus to join. I am also a part of BizTech, a very reputable club for those who study or are interested in learning more about technology. [Lastly,] Amnesty and RESULT, both goes with my interested in taking action for humanitarian causes in reducing poverty and injustice in the world.

HC UBC: Tell me about your career objectives?

TP: My career objective is to work with A.I (Artificial Intelligence) and technologies to try to make them more sustainable. Development framework, problem-solving and analysis of the use and consequence of A.I are what I am interested in.

HC UBC: What is one motto you live by?

TP: I always tell myself: You can go as far as your mind lets you.

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.