HC UBC Profile: Simran Brar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Simran is one of the sweetest people I’ve met! She’s intelligent, driven, and the kind of person that you just need to have as a friend. This week, I decided to get to know her a little better and share what I learned. So, meet Simran! 

Full name: Simran Brar

Hometown: Surrey, BC

Year: Fourth 

Major: Biology

Favourite place on campus: The Nest

How you chose your major: I dislike Chemistry and Physics, so it really narrowed down my options. I also really liked my biology intro courses so I decided to major in Biology.

How you chose UBC: Many of my cousins went here and it was the best school in BC. 

Favourite class you’ve taken: BIOL 204, had an amazing professor and lab coordinator.

Least favourite class: PHYS 101

Favourite food: Nachos

Favourite sport to watch/play: Basketball! I am diehard Lakers fan and even though I may be 5’2, growing up that didn’t stop me from playing b-ball.

Why you decided to join a sorority at UBC: My best friend took me to her semi last year and I had a great time, so I decided to rush this year.

Current song you can’t stop listening to: “New Rules” by Dua Lipa

Next place you want to travel to: London, I’ve never been and my brother is living in the city right now.

What you’re most looking forward to this semester: serving as a student senator and attending the first committee meetings of this triennium.

First word that comes to mind when you hear “Vancouver”: Rain

Your favourite thing about Autumn: The changing colours of the leaves, pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween!

Goal/s for this year: to figure out what grad school program I want to go into.

Go to outfit for class: Jeans, grey shirt, grey cardigan and black booties.

Quote you guide your life by: “One of the most surprising things about motivation is that it often comes after starting a new behavior, not before. Motivation is often the result of action, not the cause of it… Getting started, even in very small ways, is a form of active inspiration that naturally produces momentum.” – James Clear

TV/literary character you most identify with: Hermione Granger, love how hard she works! 

Favourite memory at UBC: My very first Imagine Day back in 2014.

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.