This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Many of you may have seen Hugh Jackman’s new musical “The Greatest Showman” since it hit theatres in December. Jackman stars as a much more benevolent  version of controversial historical figure P. T. Barnum, and features a slew of catchy songs set to stunning and intricate choreography. I, sadly, have not seen the film yet, but I haven’t let that keep me from listening to the soundtrack. Let’s see if the songs themselves hold up without the help of stunning circus visuals. 

Track 1: The Greatest Show

Awesome intro, definitely gave me chills. On the other hand, the chorus repeats “This is the greatest show” many times, and considering the film got passed over by the Oscars that’s kind of a sad empty brag. Still, Huge Jacked-Man has a great voice so that sort of makes up for it. 

Track 2: A Million Dreams

Where did Hugh go? I don’t know who’s singing, but their voice reminds me of my own when I try really hard to reach a low note but just cannot get it. Nice enough, but feels like I’m missing context (which, to be fair, I am).

Track 3: A Million Dreams (Reprise)

Now there’s a tiny child– sorry, two tiny children singing with their adorable cherub voices. I will not be swayed by the sheer cuteness. 

Track 4: Come Alive

Now I confess, this is one song that I managed to watch the visuals for (don’t judge me! I am weak, and the bright circus colours were too tempting)! The uplifting lyrics were a bit ruined for me once I realized that “dreaming with your eyes wide open” is just what tired students do in lectures, and now I cannot dispel the association.

Track 5: The Other Side

I’ve listened to ‘The Other Side’ four times now. It has a distinct rhythm from the other songs, and its a great duet between Hugh and Zac. There was some good playing with the rhythm of the words and syllables. They used the phrase ‘nickels on the dime’ which is a saying that is appropriate to the era, so I love it. This song might even redeem the whole soundtrack so far. A+++

Track 6: Never Enough

I’m not really one for slow songs, to be honest. I have to say, I think the lyrics are a bit… soulless? Generic, I guess. They elicit one emotion and one emotion only, and they’re full of over-used phrases. Despite the energy in their voices, the lyrics are tired.

Track 7: This Is Me

I apologize for having said that ‘Never Enough’ was full of over-used phrases, because “This Is Me” really beats it in that category, but it actually works! Engage power ballad mode! I feel so full of life I could just… kick a trashcan into the stratosphere!

Track 8: Rewrite the Stars

Confession: I never watched any of the High School Musical movies, so I never developed any strong feelings toward Zac Efron or his alleged vocal talents. That being said, he seems to have some. I think they were better in “The Other Side” but this isn’t bad. Zendaya certainly outclasses him in this particular song, no contest. Also, points for this being a duet. I love duets.  

Track 9: Tightrope

Yes, I get it. Tightropes… you’re in a circus, it’s a metaphor, but real too… Next please.

Track 10: Never Enough (Reprise)

Reprises are fine in films and super effective, but they don’t translate too well into just being songs on their own. I fully acknowledge that I am missing at least ninety percent of what is important about this.

Track 11: From Now On

Whoa, Hugh is back again, this time in angsty teen mode! Slow song… is this how it ends? Nope, it’s getting peppy again… Okay, I can get behind this… And the accompanying chorus sweeps in to save it all! I love it! AND WE WILL COME BACK HOME, AND WE WILL COME BACK HOOOOOME, HOOOOME AGAAAAIIIIIIIN!

Verdict: I really need to see this film! Good luck to anyone who ends up in the same theatre as me, because I may be belting the lyrics out with all my heart.

Photo Credits: billboard.com, traileraddict.com, wmagazine.com, i.ytimg.com, 

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.