Female-Led TV Shows You Should Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The big screen may still be lacking in strong female protagonists, but fortunately, the small screen is host to many awesome, female-led shows. Here are some shows that you should definitely check out if you haven’t already! 

1. The Good Fight 

This spin-off from The Good Wife (another awesome female-led show you should check out!) just premiered and follows the story of three bad-ass lawyers, Diane Lockhart, Lucca Quinn and Rose Leslie. The premiere episode opens with a major financial scandal that leads Diane, along with Rose, to join Lucca at her law firm. If this show is anything like the Good Wife, it will definitely be one to watch!

2. Scandal 

Olivia Pope is back for another season, and let me tell you, it is amazing so far. Scandal follows the story of protagonist Olivia Pope, the head of a crisis-management firm and a problem solver for the most powerful people in D.C. The show is full of twist and turns, and scandals of course, that will leave you wanting more every time!

3. Jane the Virgin 

This American telenovela opens with Jane Villanueva’s life turning upside down when she recieves the news that she is pregnant. The twist? Jane was a virgin. Due to a doctor’s error, Jane finds out that she was accidentally inseminated with another man’s sperm. The show only gets crazier from there. 

4. Parks and Recreation 

This show has been over for a while, but it is an absolute must for this list! Not only is Parks and Recreation hilarious, but it introduces us to a woman we should all aspire to be: Leslie Knope. Leslie Knope is a caring, determined go-getter who never takes no for an answer when it comes to doing her job with the Parks Department for the Pawnee, Indiana government. If you want a good laugh, and an awesome woman to look up to, this is a show for you! 

5. How To Get Away With Murder 

I would not recommend Annalise Keating as a role model, but she is certainly a powerful and incredibly intelligent woman. How To Get Away With Murder is a legal drama that follows a group of law students working for their mentor and teacher, Annalise.  As the title alludes to, this show includes murder, drama, backstabbing, and so many twists and turns. 

6. The Mindy Project

I loved Mindy Kaling on the Office, and was so happy that she was able to get her own show! On The Mindy Project, Mindy plays a successful doctor in New York who is always on the search for a way to better herself, achieve greater success in her career, and find the perfect guy. This show is absolutely hilarious, so make sure to check it out! 

7. Veep 

Veep is a political-satire comedy series that follows the adventures of Selina Myer as Vice President of the United States. I don’t want to ruin the show, so all I’ll say is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a woman to watch! 

8. Orange Is the New Black 

What is an article about female-led TV shows without Orange Is the New Black?? After her past catches up with her, Piper Chapman finds herself in a minimum security women’s prison. The rest is history. This show is not only hilarious, but introduces you to a diverse set of characters that all have their own story to tell. If you haven’t already heard of this show (how could you not?), make sure to give it a shot. 

Hope you enjoyed this list of shows, HCUBC cuties! Show Hollywood executives that female-led productions are a success, and give these shows a try! 

Emily Morehead is a fourth-year Honours Political Science major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor - and the current co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UBC! :) She hopes to pursue law in the future and run for office someday. Emily loves taking long hikes up mountains, traveling to new places, and obsessing over cute corgis.