This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

While drowning in study notes and tears, sometimes music is the only thing that gets me through. I love blasting music and taking dance breaks, or just playing something relaxing in the background. As I look around me and notice all of the other struggling souls just trying to make it to the holidays, I decided to share my study/December playlist that’s helping me power through these trying times. My brain is not on it’s A game right now, so sorry in advance that this playlist makes absolutely no sense for genre, year, or mood – did I mention it’s exam period? (spoiler: none of these songs are Christmas related because I just cannot tease myself with that joy yet). 

My December playlist: 

1. West Coast – Coconut Records 

The opening lyrics, “It rains a lot this time of year”, seemed pretty fitting for Vancouver Winters

2. Let’s Get Married – Bleachers 

It’s impossible to listen to this and not feel happy!

3. All These Things I’ve Done – The Killers 

“I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier” is just too classic to not include. 

4. Down (feat. Lil Wayne) – Jay Sean 

This song reminds me of middle school, when my biggest concern was getting my mom to drive me to the movies Friday night. 

5. LOYALTY (feat. Rihanna) – Kendrick Lamar 

I’m loyal to Domino’s pizza. 

6. Belong to You (feat. 6LACK) – Sabrina Claudio 

Sabrina’s sultry voice is so soothing it makes even the worst study sessions more enjoyable. 

7. Satvia (feat. Swae Lee) – Jhené Aiko 

Another Goddess to bless your ears with. 

8. Dress – Taylor Swift 

May as well continue the incredibly talented female artists with this sexy Swift song (PSA: she released reputation to streaming sites). 

9. Hannah – Freelance Whales 

Another great song to lift your spirits. 

10. Lay It On Me – Vance Joy 

This is such a beautiful song (like anything else by Vance Joy). 

11. Cold Blooded – Khalid 

Some Khalid in honour of his five Grammy nominations

12. 5 Years Time – Noah & The Whale 

Because I could really use some “fun, fun, fun” and “sun, sun, sun”. 

13. Dance For You – Dirty Projectors 

The lyric “there is an answer, I haven’t found it” really speaks to me right now. 

14. Patience – The Lumineers 

1:38 minutes of pure joy. 

15. New Year’s Day – Taylor Swift 

I’ll conclude the playlist with this gorgeous song to remind us all that good times are ahead. 

We’re at the final stretch, HC UBC, just remember to take care of yourself whether that be treating yourself to your favourite meal, a few episodes on Netflix, or blasting music. 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.