Attend UBC’s Discussion on Poverty Reduction in BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Vancouver, BC – Next Wednesday, on March 7th, UBC will be hosting an open discussion on poverty reduction in British Columbia. Currently, BC is the only Canadian province without a poverty reduction plan despite having 1 in 10 BC residents living in poverty. The BC government is seeking input on poverty reduction strategies. As students, our voices are incredibly important to the process as rising tuition and living costs make attending UBC impossible for many. Ensure that your voice is heard by attending the discussion and sharing your opinion on the issues. 

The Details: 

When: March 7th, 2018 at 1 – 3:30 pm

Where: BC Hydro Theatre, CIRS 

Moderators: 

• Trish Garner, BC Poverty Reduction Coalition
  • Kell Gerlings, Raise the Rates Campaign 
  • Anastasia Gaisenok, Check Your Head 
  • Phoebe Lo Patigdas, BC Federation of Students

Can’t make it in person? Don’t worry, you can still contribute online to the discussion! 

All of the information provided will be recorded, compiled and submitted to the BC government by March 30th. If that isn’t enough to get you to attend, there will also be free food and refreshments provided at the event. 

Your voice matters, UBC, so make sure that you use it. 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.