nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Tips For Upcoming Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

I have done countless interviews throughout my life and it never seems to get easier. That said, each interview introduces you to new people, new skills and a completely new atmosphere. I promise you that the more you do it, the more confident you become. Summer is approaching and, for many of us, that means one thing: finding a job or Co-op placement. Interviews are really intimidating which is why Her Campus UBC has five tips for you to excel in your upcoming interview:

1. The first advice I would give is to research the company and position beforehand. The more informed you are, the more confident you will feel when answering questions. Read the job posting word for word and learn more about the companies values so that you can present how you fit into those values. 

2. Arrive fifteen minutes before the scheduled interview and when you meet the interviewer, always stand up and make a firm but short handshake.

3. Wear business formal; I recommend for girls to wear closed heels and an appropriate outfit. Always try to present yourself as put together to make a good impression. That means no wrinkled clothing, messy hair, or stained pants; remember, the halo effect is real!

4. ALWAYS ask questions at the end–this shows you are curious to learn more about the company. Avoid asking obvious or irrelevant questions such as “how much money am I going to be paid” or “when will I get vacations”. A better question would be, “Why do you enjoy working here?” or, “What can I expect my day to day job to look like?” 

5. Be confident and show you are enthusiastic about this position. Be prepared for behavioural questions–this tends to be in every job interview, as they want to evaluate how applicants have behaved in previous situations. For instance, be prepared to explain situations where you were presented a problem, how you handled it, what the result was, and what you learned from the experience. It’s a good idea to practice presenting a few different stories that you can mold to any behavioral question they ask you.

Good luck to everyone and go kill that interview!

Andrea is a third-year student at UBC majoring in Human Resources and Business Technology Management. Andrea loves running, hikes, romantic comedies and exploring new places. She is looking forward to sharing so many ideas, thoughts, and opinions on the Her Campus platform.