5 Things You Should Never Cheapen Out On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

I’m all about saving money where I can, but there are some things in life that you shouldn’t cheapen out on. Although the initial cost may be significantly more, it could save you a lot of money in the future. 

Here are 5 things you should never cheapen out on:

1. Your Mattress 

You will spend every single night sleeping on this, so do your body a favour and buy something that supports you. Having a proper mattress can prevent future back problems, and if you take care of it it will last you for up to ten years. 

2. Sheets 

The difference between expensive and cheap sheets is significant; I would recommend having at least 600 to 800 thread count. As someone who has trouble sleeping, I can say that this definitely makes a difference in my sleep quality. 

3. Cooking Supplies 

Investing in a maple wood cutting board, quality chef knives, cast iron pans, and stainless steel pots will provide you with supplies that last you a lifetime. It will cost more initially, but will save you money when you avoid buying the cheaper alternatives that only last a few years. For example, my dad has passed on cooking supplies to me that his dad used. 

4. A Laptop 

As students, a laptop may become your most prized possession so don’t cheapen out! Do your research and consider quality over price. 

5. Tattoos 

Tattoos will be on your body forever so don’t go to the parlour with poor ratings but inexpensive prices. You want to do significant research to find the best artist for you, and be willing to pay the money for them. In addition, whenever a needle is going into your body, you shouldn’t be concerned with cutting corners to save money; this goes for piercings as well. 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.