3 Thrillers to Read This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As the weather turns colder, the more I want to snuggle into my room with my favourite blanket and tea. Most of the time, I’m guilty of binging Netflix; however, sometimes, I enjoy devouring a great book. When you find the time to break away from the endless assigned readings, this list will guide you to an awesome new story. 

Here are my top thrillers for Fall reading: 

1. Uninvited – Sophie Jordan 

This novel by Sophie Jordan centers around a unique and interesting theme: what if we could flag humans with the “killer” gene? This is the world that teenage Davy lives in. A popular, beautiful, and talented musician, Davy’s life is a dream. When she tests positive for the kill gene, however, her privileged world is suddenly flipped upside down. Suddenly, she is forced to leave her private school and everyone she knows to attend a special class for other carriers of the gene. Now, Davy must come to terms with what her new future is, and societies beliefs that whether or not she kills someone isn’t a matter of if, but of when

2. Luckiest Girl Alive – Jessica Knoll 

Ani FaNelli has it all: the perfect job at top women’s magazine, a gorgeous (and rich) fiance, and an expensive wardrobe. Her glamorous life is threatened, however, when her past comes back to haunt her. As the novel progresses, we learn of the series of traumatic events that colour Ani’s teenage years. Knoll writes a compelling and haunting novel about how our past impacts our future, as much as we don’t want it to. Warning: this novel may be triggering for victims of sexual assault. 

3. The Perfectionists – Sara Shepard 

Going through Pretty Little Liar withdrawals? Then this novel by the same author is perfect for you. In this novel, Shepard invites readers into the world of another mysterious town full of freshly manicured lawns and beautiful girls with dark secrets. In particular, it follows the lives of five very different high school students, each extremely talented in her field. The girls believe they have nothing in common until they learn that they all hate the same person: popular and wealthy Nolan Hotchkiss. During a school project, they joke about how they would murder Nolan if given the chance. It’s all fun and games until the morning after a wild party Nolan turns up dead, exactly as they planned it. Now, the girls become prime suspects even though they swear to have nothing to do with it…but if they didn’t, then who did? This is the first novel of the series. Extra bonus: the series is set to be turned into a Freeform TV series as a PLL spin-off in 2019. 

Happy reading, HC UBC! 

Images from Google Images

Gifs from https://giphy.com/

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.