Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I’ve Learned About Saving Money This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

I won’t go into the sob story of how I got scammed out of $700 (if you want to know, you should ask me sometime) but let’s just say that I have been in extreme money saving mode for the past couple of months. As someone who is obsessed with all forms of shopping (online and IRL), the transition has probably been a little harder for me than most. Here are some tips I’ve picked up along the way!

Avoid the mall!

Out of sight, out of mind. It’s hard to want a top that you’ve never seen before.

Make a List

Making a list gives you some structure when walking through the aisles of the store and reminds of what you actually need. It’s harder to get distracted when you have a purpose!

Pick Apart Your Closet

If you’re like me, buying new clothes to wear gives you a reason to get out of the bed in the morning. When I couldn’t afford to shop every week, I had a serious case of PTSD and had to figure out another way to get that same excitement about my old clothes. What seemed to work best for me was going through my closet and pulling out pieces that I never wore anymore. Mixing an old top with some newer skinny jeans can create a completely new look and make it feel like you have a brand new outfit.

Accountability

Making sure everyone you hang out with is aware of your current struggle is a good way to save money, as well. Often times, friends will help you brainstorm ways to save money and come up with cheaper alternatives to the fun things that y’all normally do. They are also good for reminding you of how broke you are in moments of weakness.

Overall, I’ve learned that saving money is a constant battle with yourself so it’s important to remind yourself of why you’re doing this in the first place. Whether it’s so you can go on an awesome trip with your friends or pay for that summer class, having a goal in mind will keep you motivated through it all.

5 Facts About Me: My personal motto is "Que sera, sera". I try to defend the silver lining at all costs. I love my mom and my sorority. I am fashion-obsessed with a slight online shopping addiction. I am currently surviving on chocolate and coffee. Follow me @samramic and @college.catwalk
HCUAB