samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Surviving Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Midterms, midterms, midterms one of the many dreadful times of a college student’s semester. Whether your professors are throwing huge exams at you or piling you down with endless projects with a weeks’ notice. Perfect, right? Not really. Preparing for midterms can be crucial when your grade is depending on it to stay alive or you’re being bombarded with excessive amounts of material to learn. Here are a few tips to ensure you survive midterms and keep your GPA afloat.

Know your learning style

Knowing this crucial information will help prepare you for the way you take your notes and how you study them. The types of learning styles include, Visual, Auditory, Verbal, Kinesthetic. 

Make a list of each topic you need to review

This helps to create a study guide, flashcards, quizlet or whatever you may be using to help you study so that you are able to focus on strictly what is going to be covered on your exam so you’re not studying extra material. Trust e you’ll thank me later.

Take notes in a way YOU understand them

Using bullet points, drawing pictures, graphs, diagrams, etc will help those visual learners to understand how the process of whatever you are studying works.

DON’T write your notes word for word… Just don’t

DON’T memorize everything. Learn to apply the material. You’ll retain it better.

Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but in college 90% of your professors won’t be asking you too many basic questions on exams. Especially once you begin to take courses within your major, those questions will mostly consist of application-based questions so that they know you aren’t just trying to memorize the material and that you can successfully apply it to your course of study.

When studying, make highlighters your best friend.

Highlight important material, but don’t replace writing your notes for highlighting them.

Study a little bit each day. DO NOT wait until the night before to study everything… Please, let’s keep our sanity ladies

Please don’t, I promise you all of those notes will add up and trying to study a bunch of new material the day before the big exam is pointless… you won’t remember any of it.

Take breaks in between studying

Close your notes, books, laptops, whatever you have open pertaining to your exams and walk away from it. Grab a snack or your favorite guilty pleasure and for 15-30 minutes don’t think about those stressful exams. Everyone needs a break every now and then.

Get a goods night rest

How are you going to Ace your exam if you’re asleep during it? GO TO BED AT A DECENT HOUR.

Reward yourself

Ladies, self-care is so important! Treat yourself after a long hard week of midterms for a nice mani/pedi, a spa day or your favorite guilty pleasure, after all… you deserve it!

Apply these habits in preparing for your midterms & you’ve got this, Good luck!!

The University of Alabama at Birmingham Alumnae | Her Campus Chapter Advisor?
HCUAB