Spot Light Interview: Meet UAB Graduate Student Dwight Tigner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Classification: Graduate Student

Major: Public Administration

Hometown: Birmingham/ Center Point

Ash: Hi, Dwight Thank You for agreeing to do this interview. I’m one of the writers for “Her Campus UAB and Spotlight interviews is something that we do by learning more about the students on the campus of UAB. I was interested in learning more about our graduate students, the graduate students are important at UAB because you all hold the wisdom for undergraduates.”   

Dwight: Thank You, for reaching out and asking. This is my first interview; you’re the first to ever ask to interview me. I live a boring life so, don’t expect to write much.

[Ash & Dwight Laughs…..]

Ash: Are you involved in any organizations, if so why did you join?

Dwight: I’m involved in Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, I pledged at A&M. I was inspired by my uncle who is also a Kappa and the brotherhood

Do you have any advice for freshmen?

START YOUR OWN BUSSINESS! It is very important to have different outlets of income and invest your money. School is very important but being more involved as well will allow you to build your communication skills which is called networking. You want to have a balance in life and time management skills.   

Where do you see yourself in the future?

Owning my own business in GIS consulting/ Industrial Analysis

What’s your favorite book to read?

The Watsons Go to Birmingham and The Isis Paper by Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

What’s your favorite quote?

All the Malcolm X quotes. There’s one from my coach that has stuck with me forever and that’s “If you don’t like something, change it.”