This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

College students all over the country are preparing for one of the most exciting weeks of their lives. That’s right, spring break is just around the corner! It’s about time for endless instagram posts, snapchat selfies, and boomerangs at the beach. Spring break is widely anticipated for many, but if we’re being honest, everyone doesn’t get to ride off into the sunset with their besties for the week. In fact, many students like myself will spend the break in their hometown and that’s okay!

If your spring break plans fell through or maybe you didn’t make any, you can still make the most of your week off.

Spend time with family.

Heading back home may not be exciting, but you should still try to enjoy it. While you’re at school there’s hardly any time to visit with grandparents, cousins, and even siblings! Take some time during the week and have a sit down with some of your family. Catch them up on what you’ve been doing and vice versa.

Pick up some extra shifts.

You didn’t have to spend any money on road tripping or hotels, so why not keep stacking up! If you already have a job, check to see if you can earn some extra hours. When you go back to campus the extra money will definitely come in handy for late night food runs!

Head to the pool.

Going to the beach may not be the best option with all the college students crowding the shore. Instead take a trip to the pool. Grab a book, magazine, or headphones to listen to your favorite songs. Lounge by the pool or take a dive in!

Link up with high school friends.

Having spring break the same week as some of your hometown friends seems like a myth, but sometimes it happens! If you have the opportunity, make plans with some of your old buds! Meet up at your favorite after school spot and reminisce on the days before college and everything you thought it would be (how’s that looking now?).  

Sleep.

Need I say more? If you don’t do anything else… sleep! This break is your time to relax so if that means sleeping til 1 p.m. sometimes, do it!

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents. 
HCUAB