So you just finished finals… now what?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

As someone who just finished their first semester of college and has headed back home for the next month I have been asking myself this question a lot. I was reflecting back on the past five months and all the (good) changes in my life, and I really didn’t know how this next month of being home would go. I’ve now 1) lived on my own 2) made amazing friends that are instantly so far from me 3) been so invested in school that I don’t even remember what I ever did with my free time, how do I handle all of this??!! 

I had a completely different article that I was planning to write, but as I sat down at my laptop, I only found the motivation to write some motivation about how all of us college gals should do our best to treat ourselves and surround ourselves with love this Winter Break, because we DESERVE it. 

So, take this break to sleep A LOT. After a week of finals and many weeks of stress, there have been many late nights. Take your time to relax, lounge around, watch all the new Netflix shows, read all the books that have been piling on your list, and get so much sleep. 

Spend time with friends and family. Since it is the holiday season, don’t take all the family coming to town for granted. Instead, get in the festive mood and celebrate with them, enjoying the time you have that isn’t spent in the library. Also, don’t forgot about all of your hometown friends, just because you are all starting different lives in other places, enjoy the time you have to catch up and enlighten each other on your new adventures. 

Treat yourself! Obviously, wait and see all the gifts you get from loved ones, but once the after Christmas sales have started, go and treat yourself to all the things you are too broke to buy during the semester. And don’t just treat yourself to material things, but get a massage, or just take time to do the things you enjoy. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY … cuddle your fur baby! As a crazy cat lady, I look forward to seeing my cat more than my family. Take advantage of all the cuddles and love that you can’t get at school since animals aren’t allowed in dorms. Dogs and cats are some the best stress relievers, so take advantage of their presence, because they are probably just as happy to see you too.