Shake up your Fitness Routine with World Dance!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Ever heard of Makosa, Kalinka, Lambada, or even Argentine Tango? Chances are, you are probably lucky to even know what Tango is, but maybe not the specialty Argentine Tango. Well, there is good news. How would you like to be able to learn about these dances and learn how to dance them? Well now you can! The UAB Rec Center has introduced a new UFit class called World Dance 101. Every week, you will learn the basics of 2 or 3 different international dances. It can be anything from Hula, Rumba, Salsa, Zorba, Cumbia, Karikova, Bhangra, Kiganda, etc. Not only will you learn basic steps, but you will get a cultural enrichment on the origins and history of each of these dances. The class is every Tuesday at 6:30pm at the UAB Rec Center. And the best part is that it’s free to all members!

Some of the many benefits of this class include the following:
-Cultural enlightenment
-Partner interaction (some dances may be partner dances, but you do not need to bring a partner)
-Coordination skills
-Learning a lot of the basic footwork and patterns that you can apply to classes such as Zumba
-Learn to shake what you’re mama gave ya (and other parts you probably didn’t know)
-Staying active
-Getting toned and improving joints (Note: this is not a cardio class, but dancing can help you tone up and slim down.)

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.