This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Let’s be clear on who Solange Knowles is. She is a fashion icon, a goddess of light and love, and she is not JUST Beyonce’s little sister. If you have not heard her new EP, A Seat at the Table, by now, I don’t think you have a clue on what real music is. I am listening to it right now as I type, and I have not had any desire to press skip on any song. My first listen was like coming home. Every song felt so familiar, like I had heard them before, and I was so eager to sing along. Solange has embodied everything that I have been feeling, thinking, and wanting to say for the past two years in thirteen songs. The interludes and commentary by the one and only Master P didn’t hurt either. I have also always been a big fan of Tweet and enjoyed hearing her voice on some of the tracks in the background. The album was black girl magically put together, and Solange’s voice is one that I have missed hearing. I had her very first album, Solo Star, which came out in 2002 when I was growing up, and while her lyrics and musical styling are completely different from that of her older sister, she definitely has always had something that needed to be heard in her music. If we’re being completely honest here, I’ve always liked her more than Beyonce. Don’t come for me, Beyhive. She’s also good friends with my other two favorite black girl magical musical goddesses, Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu. So if you are reading this and still have not heard A Seat at the Table you are doing yourself a disservice.

A work in progress.
HCUAB