This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

You know what is coming next week—that day that feels like it’s a month long, where all your friends with significant others crow about that how much they love that significant other and no matter how happily independent you are you are made to feel that something is wrong with you because you don’t have a significant other.

Believe me, nothing is wrong with you! Get off social media for a day, a week, a month if you have to, and take some time for yourself; watch your favorite movie, give yourself a mani-pedi, go jogging, do whatever you need to do to get some R&R away from all of the stupid expectations that the world tries to enforce on you.

Here are some of my favorite quotes when this time of year rolls around, I hope they encourage and inspire you! Happy V-Day ladies!!!

“I belong deeply to myself.” – Warsan Shire

“Your thorns are the best part of you.” – Marianne Moore

“So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.” – Jorge Luis Borges

“A busy, vibrant, goal-oriented woman is so much more attractive than a woman who waits around for a man to validate her existence.” – Mandy Hale

“Everyone loves the single girl. She is the adorable needy human equivalent of a stray pet others want to domesticate.” – Betsy Israel

“As long as she thinks of a man, nobody objects to a woman thinking.” – Virginia Woolf

“My alone feels so good, I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.” – Warsan Shire

“I disregard the proportions, the measures, the tempo of the ordinary world. I refuse to live in the ordinary world as ordinary women. To enter ordinary relationships. I want ecstasy. I am a neurotic — in the sense that I live in my world. I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself.” – Anaïs Nin

“You are terrifying and strange and beautiful, someone not everyone knows how to love.” – Warsan Shire

How about ya’ll go and look up Warsan Shire and read her stuff for yourselves? Trust me, you’re going to love her work…Queen Bey does!

Katharine is studying for her MA in History at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She is a lover of history and art history, an indefatigable bookworm and a die-hard fan of classic film and vintage fashion. Strike up a conversation with her about Harper Lee, Jane Austen or Audrey Hepburn and you will make her day!
Kryshonna is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in marketing. She is passionate about food, creating, and finding small ways to be happy. When she isn't acting as the Campus Correspondent, she can be found catching dinner with friends, wandering around Birmingham, or catching up on Youtube. She has a new found love for the color baby pink along with a number of other things including: working out, boba tea, and fuzzy things. For inspiration and fashion posts, you can follow her on Instagram @kokokrys.  Schedule Schedule