The Reel Deal on the Dollar Theater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Carmike 10 Cinemas, better known as the “dollar theater” is beloved by college students and the Birmingham community alike for its inexpensive prices and decent movies. Up until now, it’s lived up to its nickname by charging a dollar (including tax) to go see movies that recently left the theater. I’ve seen “Sex in the City 2”, “Black Swan”, “What’s your number” and more, and they were great. Not having screaming preteens running around was a bonus, too. However, I’m a little bummed out because they’ve raised their prices to $1.50! It doesn’t seem like a lot, and I’m sure they have just reason to do so, but what are they going to call the place now? It can’t be the “dollar and a half” theater, or the “dollar and odd change” theater. It just doesn’t have the same ring to it! Plus, who carries quarters when they’re going to a movie (I mean, unless you have to pay for parking meters). I haven’t fallen out of love for the dollar (?) theater, because they still have sweet movies and affordable popcorn. I guess the extra $.50 is worth it, what do you guys think?

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.