Reasons Why I’ve Stopped Wishing at 11:11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Friends: Quick its 11:11 make a wish! Me: No.

Recently, I’ve decided to, make the heavily criticized decision, not make a wish at 11:11 anymore. It’s not because I’ve suddenly become cynical and grumpy, nor skeptical or doubtful. Nor do I think that people who still do are dumb or that their wishes won’t come true. I just don’t see the point of wishing at this “magical time” in the hopes that somehow my wishes will end up coming true. I’ve decided to instead take charge in my own destiny and not rely on false hope to reach my goals.

If you are unfamiliar with the phenomenon known as “wishing at 11:11”, it’s exactly that: when the clock strikes 11:11, you make a wish. Simple, right?

I don’t believe so because if it was my bank account would look a lot prettier right about now, student loans who? Regardless, some people believe wishing at 11:11 is more than just a fun break to take while studying or just randomly being up that late. They believe that it’s a type of hope that maybe just maybe the power of 11:11 will help their desire come true that much more. However, I’ve decided to cut out the middle man and just do it. Just like when I decided to stop believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny, it’s essentially the same thing. Instead of taking the 50/50 chance of these things being real or true I started to buy myself the things I use to put on my Christmas list, make my own money, and buy the overpriced candy.

Many of you may be thinking “well that just takes the fun out of things”. You’re probably right, but in doing so I can gain a better sense of independence for myself. Also, just because I don’t do these things anymore doesn’t mean I won’t receive the anticipated gifts from each from the kindness and generosity of friends and family, so I’m not completely missing out on anything.

Yes, this stride towards self-independence is a lot easier said than done. Nevertheless, I’ve decided to take the initiative so that I can reach these aspirations for myself rather than at the aid of “a magical time” that may or may not work. But for those of you who still decide to do so, keep dreaming and never lose hope or sight of the ultimate end goal; going out and doing what you want to do with your life, gaining meaningful life experiences, and reaching true happiness.