courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons to Be Thankful For Your Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

The definition of a “Best Friend” is defined differently by who you talk to. Each person has their own unique criteria on how to determine who is closest to them. In certain situations, friends can feel closer than family and their impact on your life is priceless. Best friends make the good times better and the hard times easier. At times, we forget to thank the ones who were there for us when no one else was. Here are some reasons to be thankful for the best friends in your life:

1. For Encouraging You to Keep Going

They’ve been through it all with you. From your worst times to the best they’ve been there cheering you on along the way. Always remember the ones who stayed up with you talking about your problems no matter how big or small, but giving you that opportunity to let it all out. Or for that constant reminder that YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH and consistently reiterating that he wasn’t worth your time.

2. For the Little Things

There are events that happen in life that, at the time, seem like the most important thing ever. In reality, you probably won’t remember every single little detail that happened, but you will remember the small moments that had the greatest impact. Whether it be that inside joke that was created on the car ride there like missing the exit and heading towards East Atlanta or that final hug that you weren’t expecting in the parking lot of Starbucks when one of your best friends randomly tells you just how much you mean to them. These are the moments you’ll never forget and be so grateful for.

3. For Laughing Until You Feel Your Stomach Cramping Up

Whether it’s laughing at that horrible typo that someone just sent in the group message or at a hilariously dumb scary movie “trailer”, your best friends always know how to bring a smile to your face in any situation.

4. For Being Brutally Honest

You know that term “Mother Knows Best” well this also becomes true with best friends. They aren’t afraid to tell you like it is with honest advice on the good, the bad, and the ugly. Your friends tell you when a guy isn’t worth your time, or if you should maybe rethink that outfit. It’s helpful to have them to give you an honest opinion, free of judgement, during everyday life.

5. For the Inside Jokes

With your best friends by your side, normal tasks like going to Walmart or going to the Library can be some of the most entertaining experiences. These simple events remain in your memory for years to come and end up being the stories you’ll tell your kids about one day.

6. For Always Having the Best Travel Buddies

Traveling with best friends can make any vacation that much better. The car ride there jamming out to throwbacks and talking about what you’re the most excited for, the fun filled vacation itself, or hating that you have to leave already, you’re thankful for the memories you created. Best friends always make traveling some of the best memories you’ll ever create.

7. For Picking Up Where You Left Off

Days, weeks, months, even years can go by, but true best friends will always be there for you. You can text or call them at any time and they will be there. A relationship like that is special, and should not be taken for granted.

8. For the Sympathy

Even on your worst days where you just want to lay in bed and throw yourself a pity party and the only people you could even think of talking to are those closest to you. Be thankful for the best friends who stick by your side, even when you aren’t the most fun person in the room, as to provide you with positive energy in order to feel better. You’ll always hold a special place in your heart for the ones that stuck by you at your lowest and who made you feel on top of the world again.

9. For Loving You to the Moon and Back

There are a multitude of reasons to be thankful for your best friends, but above them all is the unconditional love that you share for each other. The love that fuels your bond that can never be broken.